Zeriba sentence example
- In this northern region villages are built in the Sudanese zeriba style, surrounded with thorn fences; more important places are enclosed by a well-built wall and strongly fortified.
- Information was brought by a native that the enemy had assembled in the Khor Ghob, a deep ravine not far from the zeriba.
- The wells being occupied and a zeriba formed, the column started on the evening of the 18th.
- A squadron of the 9th Royal Lancers, which was dismounted in the thick bush, was driven back with the loss of 9 men; but elsewhere the Arabs never succeeded in closing, and the troops returned to Suakin in the afternoon, leaving the East Surrey regiment in a zeriba covering some low hills near Hashin village.
- McNeill, started from Suakin for Tamai, with orders to form a half-way zeriba.Advertisement
- A native had brought information that the enemy intended to attack while the zeriba was being formed, and this actually occurred.
- A small party of dervishes still held a zeriba when King John was struck by a stray bullet.
- Fenwick, with some 40 officers and men, seized an isolated hill and held it through the night, repulsing the dervishes, who were the same nigl~t driven back with such heavy loss in attacking Lloyds zeriba that they retired to the hills, and comparative quiet again reigned at Suakin.
- The dervish army reached Nakheila on the 20th of March, and entrenched themselves there in a formidable zeriba.
- On the following day he bivouacked at Umdabia, where he constructed a strong zeriba, which was garrisoned by an Egyptian battalion, and on the night of the 7th he marched to the attack of Mahmuds zeriba, which, after an hours bombardment on the morning of the 8th of April, was stormed with complete success.Advertisement
- Kitchener met with no opposition; and on the 1st ci September the army bivouacked in zeriba at Egeiga, on the west bank of the Nile, within 4 m.
- Here, on the morning of the 2nd of September, the khalifas army, 40,000 strong, attacked the zeriba, but was repulsed with slaughter.
- On the 9th of March the whole force was back at Suakin, and on the evening of the 11th an advance to Tamai began, and the force bivouacked and formed a zeriba in the evening.