Zaria sentence example
- Other towns, like Zaria, may do as much trade, but Kano is pre-eminent as a manufacturing centre.
- The province of Zaria alone is estimated to produce annually 30,000 to 40,000 bales, all of which is used locally.
- Much of the country north of Zaria (r i° N.) is covered with heavy loose sand.
- This was selected on a branch of the Kaduna river in the south-western corner of the province of Zaria, at a place of which the native name of Zungeru was retained.
- The ruler of Zaria, while professing friendliness, was, however, unable or unwilling to restrain the rulers of Kontagora and Nupe from aggression.Advertisement
- The rulers of other neighbouring provinces offered their allegiance, and by the end of the year 1901 nine provinces, Illorin, Kabba, Middle Niger, Lower Benue, Upper Benue, Nupe, Kontagora, Borgu and Zaria had accepted the British occupation.
- These territories, with the exception of Zaria, were all in the more or less immediate neighbourhood of the valleys of the Niger and the Benue, and Zaria bordered upon the Kaduna.
- The murderer fled northwards through Zaria to Kano, which was still an independent Mahommedan state.
- The emir of Zaria was found to be in treasonable correspondence with the emir of Kano.
- In August of that year the British government, on administrative, strategic and commercial grounds, came to a decision to build a railway which should place the important cities of Zaria and Kano in direct communication with the perennially navigable waters of the Lower Niger.Advertisement
- Slave-raiding was practised on a scale which devastated and almost depopulated vast regions and greatly hampered the commercial activity of the large cities, of which Zaria and Kano were the most important.
- Much of the country north of Zaria (r iÃ‚° N.) is covered with heavy loose sand.
- It includes the sultanate of Sokoto and its dependent emirates of Kano, Bida, Zaria, &c., and the ancient sultanate of Bornu, which, with Adamawa, is partly within the German colony of Cameroon (see Nigeria and Cameroon).