Worldly-wise sentence example
- He was the last man in the world to act on the worldly-wise maxim that an enemy should always be treated as if he may one day be a friend, and a friend as if he might become an enemy.
- The earliest to give expression to it was Virgil; but the spell was soon acknowledged by the colder and more worldly-wise Horace.
- The consistency of her character throughout life makes it highly probable that even at the age of fifteen she was mature enough to adopt this worldly-wise line of conduct.
- Maddie would like to think of herself as worldly wise and independent but she does have a softer side which emerges every so often.
- She has a daughter called Heather - a very worldly-wise teenager who nevertheless keeps lovable white rats in the sitting-room.Advertisement
- He well understood the meaning of Christ's saying that He came not into the world to bring peace, but a sword: in a period when a lax spirit of conformity to the world had seized the churches he maintained the " vigor evangelicus " not merely against the Gnostics but against opportunists and a worldly-wise clergy.
- But Goethe - more worldly wise than on former occasions - felt instinctively that the gay, social world in which Lili moved was not really congenial to him.