Wooden horse sentence example
- On both sides of the passage were numerous statues, among them that of Athena Hygeia, set up by Pericles to commemorate the recovery of a favourite slave who was injured during the building of the Parthenon, a colossal bronze image of the wooden horse of Troy, and Myron's group of Marsyas with Athena throwing away her flute.
- He was one of the Greeks who entered Troy concealed in the wooden horse (Virgil, Aeneid, ii.
- It was he who suggested that Neoptolemus and Philoctetes should be fetched from Scyros and Lemnos to Troy, and he was one of those who advised the construction of the wooden horse.
- During the war, he distinguished himself as the wisest adviser of the Greeks, and finally, the capture of Troy, which the bravery of Achilles could not accomplish, was attained by Odysseus' stratagem of the wooden horse.
- Phemius pleases the suitors by singing of the calamitous return of the Greeks; Demodocus sings of a quarrel between Ulysses and Achilles, and afterwards of the wooden horse and the capture of Troy.Advertisement
- The story of the Wooden Horse is not only unknown to the Iliad, but is of a kind which we can hardly imagine the poet of the Iliad admitting.
- DeIphobus was preferred, and Helenus withdrew in indignation to Mount Ida, where he was captured by the Greeks, whom he advised to build the wooden horse and carry off the Palladium.
- We are told that Simon allegorized the wooden horse and " Helen with the lamp," 2 and applied them to himself and his E7rtvoca.
- An additional motive for his punishment consisted in his having warned the Trojans against the wooden horse left by the Greeks.
- frigging way out of a wooden horse.Advertisement
- He was one of the warriors in the wooden horse and slew Priam at the sack of Troy (Odyssey, xi.