Whale-oil sentence example
- Tallow candles as a substitute for whale-oil had been introduced, and the British market was closed by a duty of £r8 a ton on oil; a bounty offered by the Massachusetts legislature (£5 on white and £ 3 on yellow or brown spermaceti, and £2 on whale-oil per ton) was of slight assistance.
- Sometimes both whale and mineral oils are used, but in most cases the whale oil is omitted.
- WHALE-OIL, the oil obtained from the blubber of various species of the genus Balaena, as B.
- mysticetus, Greenland or "right" whale (northern whale-oil), B.
- australis (southern whale-oil), Balaenoptera longimana, Balaenoptera borealis (Finback oil, Finner whale-oil, Humpback oil).Advertisement
- "Train-oil" proper is the northern whale-oil, but this term has been applied to all blubber oils, and in Germany, to all marine animal oils - fish-oils, liver oils, and blubber oils.
- The most important whale-oil is sperm or spermaceti oil, yielded by the sperm-whales.
- Whale-oil varies in colour from a bright honey yellow to a dark brown, according to the condition of the blubber from which it has been extracted.
- When separated and pressed, this deposit is known as whale tallow, and the oil from which it is removed is distinguished as pressed whale-oil; this, owing to its limpidity, is sometimes passed as sperm-oil.
- Whale-oil is principally used in oiling wools for combing, in batching flax and other vegetable fibres, in currying and chamois leather-making, and as a lubricant for machinery.Advertisement
- Rubber, coffee, wax, sugar and palm-kernels, dried fish and whale oil are the chief exports.
- This was done by heating the barrels up and then quenching them in huge vats of whale oil.
- The remedy is to spray with kerosene emulsion or whale-oil soap; or if on cucumbers or tomatoes, it is best to fumigate with hydrocyanic acid gas, using one ounce of potassium cyanide to each woo cubic ft.
- In the past two centuries with very little technology, we've come from whale oil and wood to solar and nuclear.
- For example, whale oil needed a large amount of oxygen to burn.Advertisement
- It burned brightly and did not need the large amount of oxygen that the whale oil did.
- It isn't likely that you'll be able to get your hands on whale oil (or that you would want to) in order to make authentic Colonial candles.