Western isles sentence example
- It is possible that some of these rocks are also of Huronian age, but it is doubtful whether the rocks so designated by the geologists of the " Alert " and " Discovery " expedition are really the rocks so known in Canada, or are a continuous portion of the fundamental or oldest gneiss of the north-west of Scotland and the western isles.
- In this view the Outer and Inner Hebrides were formerly one with themselves and the mainland, and the western isles therefore are truly grouped with the Highland province of Scotland.
- Alexander (1260) won the western isles and the Isle of Man from Norway, paying 4000 merks, and promising a yearly rent of 100 merks.
- Charles did not leave the field till all was lost; so much seems clear from Yorke's evidence; but the price on his head, and probably suspicions urged by some of his Irish officers, induced him to desert his army and hurry secretly to the west coast and the western isles.
- On attaining his majority in 1262, Alexander declared his intention of resuming the projects on the Western Isles which had been cut short by the death of his father thirteen years before.Advertisement
- The Isles now lay at Alexander's feet, and in 1266 Haakon's successor concluded a treaty by which the Isle of Man and the Western Isles were ceded to Scotland in return for a money payment, Orkney and Shetland alone being retained.
- There are also fragments of poems in Half's Saga, Asmund KappaBana's Saga, in the Latin verses of Saxo, and the Shield Lays (Ragnarsdrapa) by Bragi, &c., of this school, which closes with the Sun-Song, a powerful Christian Dantesque poem, recalling some of the early compositions of the Irish Church, and with the 12th-century Lay of Ragnar, Lay of Starkad, The Proverb Song (Havamal) and Krakumal, to which we may add those singular Gloss-poems, the Pulur, which also belong to the Western Isles.
- To Greenland, Iceland's farthest colony, founded in the 10th century, we owe the two Lays of Atli, and probably HymiskviOa, which, though of a weirder, harsher cast, yet belong to the Western Isles school and not to Iceland.
- The ones listed in the tourist brochure are now given on the official Western Isles Tourist Board web site.
- Loch Bee causeway The link across Loch Bee in South Uist is the the oldest causeway involved in the Western Isles Spinal Route.Advertisement
- A darkness fell over the western isles with the church bearing the brunt of the violence.
- Both are aimed at accelerating the rollout of Broadband services throughout the Western Isles.
- Recently the california trouser snake was stranded up in the western isles on Barra for a week with.. .
- These included loggerhead turtle Myrtle, found washed up close to death in the Western Isles in 2004.
- She then sailed to JWD for repairs to her bow visor, following her recent incident in the Western Isles.Advertisement
- Recently the california trouser snake was stranded up in the western isles on Barra for a week with...
- Free toothbrushes have been issued by Western Isles Health Board to all primary pupils.
- The Harris Tweed sport coat, more commonly called the Harris Tweed jacket, has been made in the Western Isles of Scotland since the mid-19th century.