West-country sentence example
- This poem has the additional interest of showing the racial antipathy between the "Inglis"- speaking inhabitants of the Lothians and the "Scots" or Gaelic-speaking folk of the west country.
- He had, however, before this, taken up arms in Monmouth's expedition, and is supposed to have owed his lucky escape from the clutches of the king's troops and the law, to his being a Londoner, and therefore a stranger in the west country.
- The chase of the wild stag is carried on in the west country by the Devon and Somerset hounds, which hunt three or four days a week from kennels at Dunster; by the Quantock; and by a few other local packs.
- Early next year two papers from his pen were published in Beddoes' West Country Contributions - one " On Heat, Light and the Combinations of Light, with a new Theory of Respiration and Observations on the Chemistry of Life," and the other "On the Generation of Phosoxygen (Oxygen gas) and the Causes of the Colours of Organic Beings."
- The Dorset Down or West Country Down, " a middle type of Down sheep pre-eminently suited to Dorsetshire," is a local variety of the Hampshire Down breed, separated by the formation of a Dorset Down sheep society in 1904, about eighty years after the type of the breed had been established.Advertisement
- The Dorset and Somerset Horn is an old west-country breed of sheep. The fleece is fine in quality, of close texture, and the wool is intermediate between long and short, whilst the head carries a forelock.
- As an example of how such motives worked, it may suffice to quote the case of those old enemies, the Bonvilles and Courtenays, in the west country.
- He rallied the wrecks of the west country rebels, and presently appeared before the gates of Exeter with nearly 8000 men.
- He entered parliament in 1625 as member for Truro, and continued to represent that or some neighbouring west country constituency in such parliaments as were summoned till his death.
- I was born and grew up in Dorchester, Dorset and I am a proper west Country bumpkin!Advertisement
- In a good mood, he would have done his impressions of the Starkers discussing it in their rough west Country burr.
- A hot ciabatta filled with tuna and melted cheese. £ 4.75 West country burger with bacon and cheese.
- Bristol Shoguns will take on Gloucester on Saturday in what looks to be a juicy west Country Derby in the Powergen Cup quarter finals.
- The website for the hilarious West Country based punk duo.
- Having taken my Eventide to the West country and to Holland, I would always hanker for a few extra feet!Advertisement
- Our delicious breakfasts feature locally sourced West Country ingredients.
- In the sixth Century the Saxon advance in the West country was halted.
- Click the map to visit The South of England The West Country with Best Western Hotels Highlights: Honey-coloured villages and Regency splendor.