Weather-gage sentence example
- A shift of the wind having given him the weather-gage, he concentrated a vigorous attack on Lawson.
- But the wind changed again and transferred the weather-gage to the English.
- The Dutch admiral manoeuvred to keep, and Monk to gain, the weather-gage.
- On the nth of August the wind, which had been westerly, turned to the S.E., giving him the weather gage.
- When Duquesne appeared on the 7th of January 1676 near the Lipari Islands, De Ruyter allowed them to get the weather-gage, and on the 8th of January waited passively for their attack.Advertisement
- But Hubert owed his success to the skill with which he manoeuvred for the weather-gage, and his victory was not less brilliant than momentous.
- It put to sea, and by hugging the wind gained the weather gage of the French adventurer.