Waukesha sentence example
- The city's extensive street railway system connects with interurban electric lines leading to Waukesha, Oconomowoc and Watertown on the west, Sheboygan and Fond du Lac on the north, and Chicago and intermediate points along the lake shore on the south.
- Previous to this, however, in 1851, the first train ran over the Chicago Milwaukee & St Paul railway to Waukesha, and in 1857 through trains were run over the same road to the Mississippi at Prairie du Chien.
- Waukesha is served by the Minneapolis, St Paul && Sault Ste, Marie, the Chicago & North-Western and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul railways, and by interurban electric railways connecting it with Milwaukee, Oconomowoc and Madison.
- Waukesha is the seat of the State Industrial School for Boys (established as a house of refuge in 1860) and of Carroll College (Presbyterian, co-educational, 1846).
- Waukesha was first settled in 1834, was named Prairieville in 1839, was incorporated as a village under its present name (said to be a Pottawatomi word meaning "fox") in 1852, and chartered as a city in 1896.Advertisement
- In 1851 the first railway in the state was com - pleted between Milwaukee and Waukesha, but the village re - mained only a farming community until the exploitation of the mineral springs was begun about 1868.
- The municipality owns its waterworks, the water being obtained from eleven artesian wells, and being chemically similar to that of Waukesha Springs.
- Many of them are famous as summer resorts, notably Lake Geneva, Green Lake, the lakes in Waukesha county and the famous "four lakes" near Madison.
- The first limestone quarries were opened at Genesee, Waukesha county, in 1848; at Wauwatosa, near Milwaukee, in 1855; and near Bridgeport in 1856.
- The most famous of these springs are in Waukesha county, whence White Rock, Bethesda, Clysmic and other waters are shipped.Advertisement
- Railway building in Wisconsin began in 1851, when a track was laid from Milwaukee to Waukesha (20 m.), which was extended westward in 1854 to Madison and in 1857 to the Mississippi at Prairie du Chien.
- The Waukesha Wisconsin humane society is better known as the Humane Animal Welfare Society.
- The Humane Animal Welfare Society is at 701 Northview Road in Waukesha, WI, between Aviation Drive and Pewaukee Road.