Water-wheel sentence example
- With one such water-wheel a pair of oxen can raise water any height up to 18 ft., and keep from 5 to 12 acres irrigated throughout an Egyptian summer.
- But his operations were at first greatly fettered by want of capital, until Jedediah Strutt, having satisfied himself of the value of the machines, entered with his partner, Samuel Need, into partnership with him, and enabled him in 1771 to build a second factory, on a much larger scale, at Cromford in Derbyshire, the machinery of which was turned by a water-wheel.
- The right water wheel drives the circular saw, while the left drives the frame saw.
- The two substantial water wheel pits housed 30 ' x 4 ' and 40 ' x 4 ' wheels respectively.
- Sonning Mill was one of the last flour mills on the river to be driven by water wheel.Advertisement
- Picture below: The end wall of the turbine house facing the river where the water came out of the undershot water-wheel.
- Mountain streams furnish important water-power, and the typical factory of Vermont has long been a sawmill run by a water-wheel.
- Through this part of its course the current of the river, except where restricted by floating bridges - at Feluja, Mussaib, Hillah, Diwanieh and Samawa - does not normally exceed a mile an hour, and both on the main stream and on its canals the jerd or oxbucket takes the place of the naoura or water-wheel for purposes of irrigation.
- She nodded and pointed at the old cypress water wheel.
- A step higher than these is the rude water-wheel, with earthen pots on an endless chain running round it, worked by one or two bullocks.Advertisement
- The first of these resemble an ordinary reverberatory furnace by having a flat bed which, however, has the form of a circular disk mounted on a central shaft, and receives a slow movement of rotation from a water-wheel or other motor, so that every part of the surface is brought successively under the action of the fire, the charge being stirred and ultimately removed by passing under a series of fixed scraper arms placed above the surface at various points.
- I put up a water wheel and went to growing sugar cane and made molasses of sugar cane.
- We have crept into this corner of grief, turning the water wheel with a flow of tears.