Water-clocks sentence example
- He further amused himself with making scientific toys, such as sun-dials and water-clocks.
- He made windmills, water-clocks, kites and dials, and he is said to have invented a four-wheeled carriage which was to be moved by the rider.
- They were, on the other hand, probably acquainted, a couple of millenniums before Meton gave it his name, with the nineteen-year cycle, by which solar and lunar years were harmonized; 1 they immemorially made observations in the meridian; regulated time by water-clocks, and used measuring instruments of the nature of armillary spheres and quadrants.
- One was four books on Water Clocks (ÃŽ ÃŽµÃÃŽ¯ ÃÃŽ´ÃÃŽ¯Ãâ€°ÃŽ½ ÃÅ½ÃÃŽ¿ÃÆ’ÃŽºÃŽ¿Ãâ‚¬ÃŽµÃŽ¯Ãâ€°ÃŽ½), of which Proclus (Hypotyp. astron., ed.
- From the water clocks of ancient Egypt and Babylon to the bedside alarm clocks of the late 1800s, humans have always been obsessed with marking the passage of time.Advertisement
- With this definition in mind, the history of robots dates back to 270 BC when Ctesibus, an Greek engineer of that time, invented water clocks and organs with movable figures.