How to use Wareham in a sentence
He assisted at the taking of Wareham, and shortly afterwards compounded for his estates by a fine of X500 from which, however, he was afterwards relieved by Cromwell.
Owing to its situation as a key of Purbeck, the site of Wareham (Werham, Warham) has been occupied from early times.
That Wareham was a pre-Saxon town is evident from Asser's statement that its British name was Durngueir.
The early chroniclers declare that St Aldhelm founded a church near Wareham about 701, and perhaps the priory, which is mentioned as existing in 876, when the Danes retired from Cambridge to a strong position in this fort.
In the following year they were again at Wareham, which they made their headquarters.Advertisement
Further incursions made by the Danes in 998 and in 1015 under Canute probably resulted in the destruction of the priory, on the site of which a later house was founded in the 12th century as a cell of the Norman abbey of Lysa, and in the decayed condition of Wareham in 1086, when 203 houses were ruined or waste, the result of misfortune, poverty and fire.
Wareham was accounted a borough in Domesday Book, and the burgesses in 1176 paid 20 marks for a default.
The constitution of Wareham underwent a change during the years 1326-1338, when the governing body of the bailiffs and commonalty were replaced by the mayor and bailiffs.
In 1587 Elizabeth granted certain privileges to Wareham, but it was not incorporated until 1703, when the existing fairs for April 6 and August 23 were granted.
But in 876 part of the Danes managed to slip past him and occupied Wareham; whence, early in 877, under cover of treacherous negotiations, they made a dash westwards and seized Exeter.Advertisement
In 980 Dunstan brought St Edward's body here from Wareham for burial, and here Canute died in 1035.
But Alfred blockaded them first in Wareham and then in Exeter.
In 1633 Captain William Holmes, of the Plymouth Colony, established near the mouth of the Farmington river a trading post, the first settlement by Englishmen in Connecticut; a more important and a permanent settlement (until 1637 called New Dorchester) was made in 1635 by immigrants from Dorchester, Massachusetts, led by the Rev. John Wareham, Roger Ludlow and others.
The junction is currently controlled by ground frame electrically interlocked from Wareham signal box.
In 1892, Wareham opened a booksellers and stationers shop in Beach Road.Advertisement
Recent additions include the Haunted Conservatory, the Swinging Chairs and the Wareham Bears.