Warding sentence example
- Napoleon's original plan for the 16th was based on the assumption that the allies, who had been caught napping, would not attempt a risky forward concentration; and he intended therefore to push an advanced guard as far as Gembloux, for the purpose of feeling for and warding off Blucher.
- The Polish towns, notably Cracow, had obtained their privileges, including freedom from tolls and municipal government, from the Crown in return for important services, such as warding off the Tatars, while the cities of German origin were protected by the Magdeburg law.
- It is curious that while in England the burgage-tenure was deemed a species of socage, to distinguish it from the military holdings, in Scotland it was strictly a military holding, by the service of watching and warding for the defence of the burgh.
- He was twice sent to Rome by King Robert the Pious (986, 996), and on each occasion succeeded in warding off a threatened papal interdict.
- He has with him a spiritual warding stone and a combat midget.Advertisement
- When he came to himself, a man of clerical appearance with a tuft of gray hair at the back of his head and wearing a shabby blue cassock--probably a church clerk and chanter--was holding him under the arm with one hand while warding off the pressure of the crowd with the other.
- To the Japanese a monkey is a protector, guarding against demons and warding off thieves.
- Tea tree oil also has antiseptic properties and may be useful in warding off infection when poison plant rash blisters break.
- Millions of people take additional doses of supplemental vitamin C or increase their intake of vitamin C-rich foods during the wintertime in the hopes of warding off the common cold.
- Blessings, wishes, prayers and warding off diseases are just some of the functions of the shamanic masks and the rituals behind them.Advertisement
- Using it as a part of an Egyptian tattoo design is symbolic of that same protection, or warding off evil.
- Typically, warding off problems before they occur is the best way to ensure a smooth and enjoyable time for all.
- Essential oils are also helpful in warding off discomfort.
- Wooden and glass copings are also very useful in warding off frosts.
- Among the prehistoric people are many female skeletons with a fractured right ulna sustained in warding off blows, and some of these women had died while still wearing splints.Advertisement