Walling sentence example
- The garden is enclosed by walling with wrought iron embellishment to the front boundary wall.
- Barras's account of the visit describes the child as suffering from extreme neglect, but conveys no idea of the alleged walling in.
- The corner towards the Ponte della Puglia was also restored, and the hideous device of walling up the five last arches, adopted in the 16th century by the architect Da Ponte, was removed without prejudice to the stability of the structure.
- These were the walling round of the Tower and the rebuilding of London Bridge, which had been almost destroyed by a flood.
- Scanty remains of walling and of buildings of the Roman period exist above ground; traces of a large rectangular platform were found in 1876, and part of the thermae in 1829; it occupied the summit of a hill defended by ravines, called Piano di Civita.Advertisement
- The roof is temporarily supported by wooden props or pack walling of stone, for a sufficient breadth along the face to protect the workmen, and allow them to work together behind.
- The roads for drawing the coal from the working faces to the shaft are kept open by walling through the waste or goaf produced by the fall of the unsupported roof.
- Rigid guides connected with the walling of the pit are probably the best and safest, but they have the disadvantage of being liable to distortion, in case of the pit altering its form, owing to irregular movements of the ground, or other causes.
- Even the Eskimos, conspicuous as they are for their intelligence and sociability, save themselves the trouble of caring for their sick and old by walling them up and leaving them to die in a lonely hut; the Chukches stone or strangle them to death; some Indian tribes give them over to tigers, and the Battas of Sumatra eat them.
- The "quasi-reticulate" period - walling faced with masonry not yet quite so regular as opus reticulatum, and with brick quoins, coinciding with the second period of decoration (the architectural, partly imitating marble like the first style, but without relief, and by colour only, and partly making use of architectural designs).Advertisement
- A French attack on the town was repulsed in 1404, and in 1485 the burgesses received a royal grant of 40 for walling the town and stretching a chain across the river mouth.
- There are considerable remains of perhaps pre-Roman polygonal walls - in one place a piece of this walling has masonry of rectangular blocks superposed, with an inscription of two of the Roman municipal magistrates (quattuorviri).
- The external facade consists of curtain walling with elements of rainscreen cladding around core areas.
- Inspired ideas in paving, decking, fencing and walling plus a host of garden accessories from ornaments to wonderful pond ideas.
- Stone walling to rear with timber framed brick nogging, left gable.Advertisement