Wallabies sentence example
- Several smaller forms of the same general appearance are known as wallabies, and are common everywhere.
- The rock wallabies again have short tarsi of the hind legs, with a long pliable tail for climbing, like that of the tree kangaroo of New Guinea, or that of the jerboa.
- There are some twenty smaller species in Australia and Tasmania, besides the rock wallabies and the hare kangaroos; these last are wonderfully swift, making clear jumps 8 or io ft.
- Huxley in 1880 briefly suggested the arboreal origin, or primordial treehabitat of all the marsupials, a suggestion abundantly confirmed by the detailed studies of Dollo and of Bensley, according to which we may imagine the marsupials to have passed through (r) a former terrestrial phase, followed by (2) a primary arboreal phase - illustrated in the tree phalangers - followed by (3) a secondary terrestrial phase - illustrated in the kangaroos and wallabies - followed by (4) a secondary arboreal phase - illustrated in the tree kangaroos.
- The rock wallabies are soft and woolly and often of a pretty bluish tone, and make moderately useful carriage rugs and perambulator aprons.Advertisement
- With respect to their size they are distinguished as large wallabies and small wallabies, some of the latter being no bigger than a rabbit.
- The Carnivora include bears, wolverines, wolves, raccoons, foxes, sables, martens, skunks, kolinskis, fitch, fishers, ermines, cats, sea otters, fur seals, hair seals, lions, tigers, leopards, lynxes, jackals, &c. The Rodentia include beavers, nutrias, musk-rats or musquash, marmots, hamsters, chinchillas, hares, rabbits, squirrels, &c. The Ungulata include Persian, Astrachan, Crimean, Chinese and Tibet lambs, mouflon, guanaco, goats, ponies, &c. The Marsupialia include opossums, wallabies and kangaroos.
- Opossums and wallabies, good useful furs, come from Australia and New Zealand.
- Although intimately connected with the cuscuses and phalangers by means of the musk-kangaroo, the kangaroos and wallabies, together with the rat-kangaroos, are easily distinguishable from other diprotodont marsupials by their general conformation, and by peculiarities in the structure of their limbs, teeth and other organs.
- It has over 150 different species of mammals, reptiles and birds in its collection including meerkats, ring tailed lemurs and wallabies.Advertisement
- Creature Features Creature Features is a BRAND NEW interactive animal land with inquisitive meerkats, wallabies, rheas, skunks and prickly porcupines.
- Many species of wallaby are about the size of a hare; some so resemble hares that they are called hare wallabies.
- The wallabies found at Folly Farm are Bennett's wallabies, the Tasmanian subspecies of the red-necked wallaby.
- Then come the rat-kangaroos, or kangaroo-rats, constituting the sub-family Potoroinae; while the tree-kangaroos (Dendrolagus), rock-wallabie's (Petrogale), and wallabies and kangaroos (Macropus) form the Macropodinae (see Kangaroo).
- Australia Holidays Simpsons Gap At Simpsons Gap there is opportunity to see rock wallabies which are the smaller cousin of the kangaroo.Advertisement
- The dining room overlooks a delightful bird garden and small menagerie which includes miniature wallabies.
- The wallabies found at Folly Farm are Bennett 's wallabies, the Tasmanian subspecies of the red-necked wallaby.
- Australian Outback: This unique open exhibit features winding paths and free-ranging red kangaroos and Bennett's wallabies that are loose to interact with strolling guests.