Walcheren sentence example
- In 873 Rolf seized Walcheren, and became the scourge of the surrounding districts.
- In February 1574 the Spaniards by the fall of Middleburg lost their last hold upon Walcheren and Zeeland.
- During his two and a half years of service under Cochrane, the young midshipman witnessed more than fifty engagements, and had much experience of service on the coast of Spain in the early stage of the Peninsular War, in the attack on the French squadron in the Roads (April 1809) and in the Walcheren expedition.
- The names of the islands are Schouwen and Duiveland, St Filipsland, Tolen, North Beveland, South Beveland and Walcheren.
- In 1866 South Beveland and Walcheren were joined by a heavy railway dam, a canal being cut through the middle of the former island to restore the connexion between the East and West Scheldt.Advertisement
- South Beveland is sometimes called the "granary" and Walcheren the "garden" of Zeeland.
- The principal towns in Walcheren are Middelburg, the chief town of the province, Flushing and Veere; all three connected by a canal (1867-72) which divides the island in two.
- In January 1810 Napoleon annexed the island of Walcheren, alleging that Louis had not done his share in defending the interests of France at the time of the British Walcheren expedition (1809).
- Similar constructions are to be found on the seaward side of the islands of Walcheren, Schouwen and Voorne, and between 's Gravenzande and Scheveningen, and Katwijk and Noordwijk.
- In the meantime Herioldus remained on friendly terms with Lothair and received a further grant of Walcheren and the neighbouring districts.Advertisement
- There the Danes very early settled on the island of Walcheren, which had in fact been given by the emperor Louis the Pious in fief to a Danish fugitive king, Harald by name, who sought the help of Louis, and adopted Christianity.
- After the partition of the territory of Charlemagne's empire among the sons of Louis the Pious, Walcheren and the Scheldt-mouth fell within the possessions of the emperor Lothair, and in the region subsequently distinguished as Lotharingia.
- In the event, toward the end of the 9th century all Frisia between Walcheren and the German Ocean seems to have become the permanent possession of the invaders.
- He began the long strife with the counts of Flanders, as to the lordship over Walcheren Iv.
- On well-guarded strongholds like Thanet or Sheppey in England, Noirmoutier at the Loire mouth, or the Isle of Walcheren, they defied the local magnates to evict them.Advertisement