Voortrekkers sentence example
- The British settlers had, characteristically, reached Natal mainly by way of the sea; the new tide of immigration was by land - the voortrekkers streamed through the passes of Arrival the Drakensberg, bringing with them their wives and of the children and vast herds of cattle.
- Of Dutch Churches the first and chief is the Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk, founded by the Voortrekkers and originally the state Church.
- Here it is only necessary to state that the Voortrekkers were animated by an intense desire to be altogether rid of British control, and to be allowed to set up independent communities and govern the natives in such fashion as they saw fit.
- Boshof, one of the voortrekkers, who had previously taken an active part in the affairs of Natal.
- Material for forming a judgment will be found chiefly in the correspondence of Sir Benjamin D'Urban with the Colonial Office, in the statements made by the voortrekkers, and in a series of lectures delivered in Pietermaritzburg in1852-1855by the Hon.Advertisement
- This sentiment, which found formal recognition later on in the constitution of the South African Republic, was held in fullest force by the voortrekkers.
- The town is one of the oldest in the Transvaal, having been founded in 1850 by the Voortrekkers.