Volturno sentence example
- On the 1st of October he routed the remnant of the Bourbon army 40,000 strong on the Volturno.
- He became abbe of St Vincent on the Volturno "in the time of Desiderius, king of the Lombards."
- It is a bronze statuette from Sessa on the Volturno, about 2 ft.
- On the ist and 2nd of October 1860 a battle was fought on the Volturno victor between 20,000 Garibaldians, many of them raw levies, and 35,000 Bourbon troops, and although at first a Garibaldian division under Tiirr was repulsed, Garibaldi himself arrived in time to turn defeat into victory..
- The Volturno Bde., of the 10th Div., which was on its way to reinforce another threatened sector, was diverted to the more critical point.Advertisement
- The chief rivers on the south-west are the Liri or Garigliano (anc. Liris), with its tributary the Sacco (Trerus), the Volturno (Volturnus), Sebeto (Sabatus), Sarno (Sarnus), on the north the Trigno (Trinius), Biferno (Tifernus), and Fortore (Frento).
- Meanwhile the Italian troops had occupied the Marches, Umbria and the Abruzzi, a battalion of Bersaglieri reaching the Volturno in time to take part in the battle.
- The Bourbonists in Calabria, utterly disorganized, broke before the invincible red-shirts, and the 40,000 men defending the Salerno-Avellino line made no better resistance, being eventually ordered to fall back on the Volturno.
- 1 Fortun- am Iy for his policy, the red-shirts had encountered a formidable;tacle to their advance in the Neapolitan army entrenched the Volturno under the guns of Ca~ua.