Vives sentence example
- See this and other instances collected in Usages y demas derechos de Cataluna, by Vives y Cebria (Barcelona, 1835), tom.
- At Bruges he became acquainted with the famous Spanish scholar, Juan Luis Vives, with whom he lodged.
- Adolfo Bonilla y San Martin's Luis Vives y la filosofia del renacimiento (Madrid, 1903) is a valuable and interesting study which includes an exhaustive bibliography of Vives's writings and a critical estimate of previous monographs.
- Juan Miguel de Vives, announced, amid universal acclamation, his resolution to support Ferdinand VII.
- Vives (1531), and in all his teaching aimed at the formation of a sapiens atque eloquens pietas.Advertisement
- It was recognized, however, that Latin itself (as Vives had said) was " in no small need of Greek," and that, " unless Greek was learnt in boyhood, it would hardly ever be learnt at all."
- Nameche, "Memoire sur la vie et les ecrits de Jean Louis Vives" in Memoires couronnes par l'Academie Royale des sciences et belles-lettres de Bruxelles (Brussels, 1841), vol.
- The humanist Vives was brought from Italy to teach Latin, and the reader in theology was instructed to follow the Greek and Latin Fathers rather than the scholastic commentaries.