Vitoria sentence example
- On the 26th of October 1808, when Moore's troops had left Lisbon to join Baird, the French still held a defensive position behind the Ebro; Bessieres being in the basin of Vitoria, Marshal Ney north-west of Logrono, and Moncey covering Pampeluna, and near Sanguessa.
- Once more Wellington turned his right, by a sweeping movement through Rocamunde and Puente Arenas near the source of the Ebro, when he retreated behind the Zadorra near the town of Vitoria.
- For a description of the decisive battle of Vitoria (June 21, 1813), see Vitoria.
- In it Battle of King Joseph met with a crushing defeat, and, after Vitoria, it, the wreck of his army, cut off from the Vitoria- June 21, Bayonne road, escaped towards Pampeluna.
- At daylight on the 7th of October 1813 he crossed the Bidassoa in seven columns, and attacked the entire French position, which stretched in two heavily entrenched lines from north 1 Duque da Victoria, often incorrectly duke of Vitoria.Advertisement
- The capital is Vitoria (pop. 1900, 30,701), which is the only town with more than 3 500 inhabitants.
- Alava, &c. (Pamplona, 1798); Suplemento a los cuatro libros de la historia de Alava (Vitoria, 1799); and Los varones illustres Alavenses (Vitoria, 1798).
- Its capital, Vitoria, is said to have been founded by the Gothic king Leovigild (581).
- The former of these, which was distinguished by the unusual largeness of its concessions, and by the careful minuteness of its details, rapidly extended to many places in the neighbourhood, while the latter charter was given also to Miranda by Alphonso VI., and was further extended in 1181 by Sancho el Sabio of Navarre to Vitoria, thus constituting one of the earliest written fora of the "Provincias Vascongadas."
- In the following year \% ellingtons victory at Vitoria signalled the ruin of the French cause in Spain; while Prussia threw off the yoke of France, and Austria, realizing after cautious delay her chance of retrieving the humiliations of 1809, joined the alliance, and in concert with Russia and the other German powers overthrew Napoleon at Leipzig.Advertisement