Viti levu sentence example
- North-west of Viti Levu lies another chain, the Yasawa or western group; and, finally, the colony includes the island of Rotumah, 300 m.
- It breaches the mountains in a fine valley; for this island consists practically of one long range, whereas the main valleys and ranges separating them in Viti Levu radiate for the most part from a common centre.
- With few exceptions the islands are surrounded by barriers of coral, broken by openings opposite the mouths of streams. Viti Levu is the most important island not only from its size, but from its fertility, variety of surface, and population, which is over one-third of that of the whole group. The town of Suva lies on an excellent harbour at the south-east of the island, and has been the capital of the colony since 1882, containing the government buildings and other offices.
- Good bridle-tracks exist in all the larger islands, and there are some macadamized roads, principally in Viti Levu.
- This negroid type is especially marked on the west coasts, and still more in the interior of Viti Levu.Advertisement
- However, Viti Levu and Vanua Levu make up 85% of the land, and only approximately 100 islands are actually occupied.