Violent storm sentence example
- They failed, however, in both attempts; and in the latter, owing to the darkness, and to the occurrence of a violent storm which suddenly swelled the torrents in the ravines, their force was thrown into inextricable confusion, and they were compelled to abandon their camp and make the best of their escape from the country.
- Geological evidence shows that this gap was once bridged by a continuous isthmus which according to the temple records was breached by a violent storm in 1480.
- Her voyage to Scotland was interrupted by a violent storm - for the raising of which several Danish and Scottish witches were burned or executed - which drove her on the coast of Norway, whither the impatient James came to meet her, the marriage taking place at Opslo (now Christiania) on the 23rd of November.
- (In 1901 a violent storm further damaged the temples and forced the gateway out of the perpendicular.) The other ruins include a triumphal arch of Constantine, a still serviceable bridge and a square keep or tower of late date.
- The sun flooded in through the still-open drapes, announcing that the violent storm of the night before had fled out to sea.Advertisement
- Pope was at this moment about to take the offensive, when a violent storm swelled the rivers and put an end to all movement.
- But during the night of the 26th of October a violent storm destroyed a great part of his fleet.
- In 1663 he attracted much notice by the success of his invention of a doublebottomed ship, which twice made the passage between Dublin and Holyhead, but was afterwards lost in a violent storm.
- This book was the first manifestation of Jansenism to the general public in France, and raised a violent storm.
- A violent storm suddenly broke out, driving the approaching ships back across the Channel.Advertisement
- For the most part, Cold Fear is set aboard a whaling vessel in the middle of a violent storm.