Village sentence example

village
  • Away they went through the village street and out upon the country road.
    413
    210
  • When he had reached the village of Pratzen he halted.
    191
    108
  • The settlements of Lower Saginaw and Portsmouth were made in 1837, and were later united to form Bay City, which was incorporated as a village in 1859, and chartered as a city in 1865.
    211
    151
  • Kiki.s men are at the village now to protect it.
    82
    37
  • He walked up the beach and into the shrubs, finding a path that led to a small village of red cottages.
    157
    123
    Advertisement
  • It was hard to believe a village could be this close and they didn't know it was there.
    66
    48
  • Pierre pointed to another knoll in the distance with a big tree on it, near a village that lay in a hollow where also some campfires were smoking and something black was visible.
    100
    83
  • A village of the Byzantine period has been explored at Balatizzo, immediately to the south of the modern town (Notizie degli Scavi, 1900, 511-520).
    33
    20
  • East of my bean-field, across the road, lived Cato Ingraham, slave of Duncan Ingraham, Esquire, gentleman, of Concord village, who built his slave a house, and gave him permission to live in Walden Woods;--Cato, not Uticensis, but Concordiensis.
    42
    29
  • There was an inn in the village which the officers frequented.
    63
    51
    Advertisement
  • The limits of the township, originally called West Hoosac, were determined by a committee of the General Court of Massachusetts in 1749, and two or three years later the village was laid out.
    28
    18
  • After the hussars had come to the village and Rostov had gone to see the princess, a certain confusion and dissension had arisen among the crowd.
    31
    21
  • I can close my eyes and see the hustle-bustle of the village, the children playing, the pack mules and miners, the ladies decked out in long dresses and fur muffs.
    21
    13
  • Just as horses shy and snort and gather about a dead horse, so the inmates of the house and strangers crowded into the drawing room round the coffin--the Marshal, the village Elder, peasant women--and all with fixed and frightened eyes, crossing themselves, bowed and kissed the old prince's cold and stiffened hand.
    20
    12
  • It was at the end of a village that stretched along the highroad in the midst of a young copse in which were a few fir trees.
    59
    52
    Advertisement
  • El-`Azariyeh is a poor village of about thirty families, with few marks of antiquity; there is no reason to believe that the houses of Mary and Martha and of Simon the Leper, or the sepulchre of Lazarus, still shown by the monks, have any claim to the names they bear.
    17
    11
  • The upper fall is close to the village of Howick.
    9
    3
  • The startings and arrivals of the cars are now the epochs in the village day.
    22
    16
  • Besides the crusader and other remains in the village itself, the surrounding country possesses many tells (mounds) covering the sites of ancient cities.
    16
    11
  • On one of his foraging expeditions, in a deserted and ruined village to which he had come in search of provisions, Rostov found a family consisting of an old Pole and his daughter with an infant in arms.
    41
    36
    Advertisement
  • Finally, he'd reached the top of a hill overlooking a small, familiar village that glowed with warmth.
    64
    60
  • The village is a summer resort.
    4
    1
  • But consider how little this village does for its own culture.
    7
    4
  • In this country, the village should in some respects take the place of the nobleman of Europe.
    32
    29
  • The village appeared to me a great news room; and on one side, to support it, as once at Redding & Company's on State Street, they kept nuts and raisins, or salt and meal and other groceries.
    9
    6
    Advertisement
  • Look there in the meadow behind the village, three of them are dragging something.
    10
    7
  • Just facing it, on the crest of the opposite hill, the village of Schon Grabern could be seen, and in three places to left and right the French troops amid the smoke of their campfires, the greater part of whom were evidently in the village itself and behind the hill.
    6
    3
  • They all rushed out of the village again, but Tushin's guns could not move, and the artillerymen, Tushin, and the cadet exchanged silent glances as they awaited their fate.
    8
    5
  • I can fix the village!
    5
    3
  • This time, he was on a dirt road near a tiny village.
    2
    0
    Advertisement
  • He was born, probably in the third quarter of the 5th century, at Tahal, a village in the district of Beth Garmai east of the Tigris.
    2
    0
  • Jackson was incorporated as a village in 1843, and in 1857 was chartered as a city.
    2
    0
  • Pop. (1890) 6567; (1900) 7010, of whom 5666 (including 1309 foreign-born) were inhabitants of the village of the same name.
    2
    0
  • In the village are a Y.M.C.A.
    2
    0
  • Children come a-berrying, railroad men taking a Sunday morning walk in clean shirts, fishermen and hunters, poets and philosophers; in short, all honest pilgrims, who came out to the woods for freedom's sake, and really left the village behind, I was ready to greet with--"Welcome, Englishmen! welcome, Englishmen!" for I had had communication with that race.
    5
    3
    Advertisement
  • In the village of Hosjeradek there were Russian troops retiring from the field of battle, who though still in some confusion were less disordered.
    16
    14
  • The remains of Langeron's and Dokhturov's mingled forces were crowding around the dams and banks of the ponds near the village of Augesd.
    13
    11
  • What Pierre did not know was that the place where they presented him with bread and salt and wished to build a chantry in honor of Peter and Paul was a market village where a fair was held on St. Peter's day, and that the richest peasants (who formed the deputation) had begun the chantry long before, but that nine tenths of the peasants in that villages were in a state of the greatest poverty.
    5
    3
  • Then he vividly pictured to himself Bogucharovo, his occupations in the country, his journey to Ryazan; he remembered the peasants and Dron the village elder, and mentally applying to them the Personal Rights he had divided into paragraphs, he felt astonished that he could have spent so much time on such useless work.
    11
    9
  • Or, turning to Mademoiselle Bourienne, he would ask her in Princess Mary's presence how she liked our village priests and icons and would joke about them.
    5
    3
    Advertisement
  • The village elder, a peasant delegate, and the village clerk, who were waiting in the passage, heard with fear and delight first the young count's voice roaring and snapping and rising louder and louder, and then words of abuse, dreadful words, ejaculated one after the other.
    5
    3
  • Toward evening Ilagin took leave of Nicholas, who found that they were so far from home that he accepted "Uncle's" offer that the hunting party should spend the night in his little village of Mikhaylovna.
    5
    3
  • A herd of cattle was being driven along the road from the village, and over the fields the larks rose trilling, one after another, like bubbles rising in water.
    4
    2
  • A French colonel of hussars, who had evidently just left his bed, came riding from the village on a handsome sleek gray horse, accompanied by two hussars.
    5
    3
  • They rode through the village of Rykonty, past tethered French hussar horses, past sentinels and men who saluted their colonel and stared with curiosity at a Russian uniform, and came out at the other end of the village.
    4
    2
    Advertisement
  • But instead of that, at the next village the sentinels of Davout's infantry corps detained him as the pickets of the vanguard had done, and an adjutant of the corps commander, who was fetched, conducted him into the village to Marshal Davout.
    10
    8
  • Just as Dron was a model village Elder, so Alpatych had not managed the prince's estates for twenty years in vain.
    5
    3
  • In the village, outside the drink shop, another meeting was being held, which decided that the horses should be driven out into the woods and the carts should not be provided.
    9
    7
  • Rostov and Ilyin gave rein to their horses for a last race along the incline before reaching Bogucharovo, and Rostov, outstripping Ilyin, was the first to gallop into the village street.
    9
    7
  • He stopped in the village at the priest's house in front of which stood the commander-in-chief's carriage, and he sat down on the bench at the gate awaiting his Serene Highness, as everyone now called Kutuzov.
    5
    3
    Advertisement
  • From the field beyond the village came now sounds of regimental music and now the roar of many voices shouting "Hurrah!" to the new commander-in-chief.
    4
    2
  • When Scherbinin came galloping from the left flank with news that the French had captured the fleches and the village of Semenovsk, Kutuzov, guessing by the sounds of the battle and by Scherbinin's looks that the news was bad, rose as if to stretch his legs and, taking Scherbinin's arm, led him aside.
    3
    1
  • When Denisov had come to Pokrovsk at the beginning of his operations and had as usual summoned the village elder and asked him what he knew about the French, the elder, as though shielding himself, had replied, as all village elders did, that he had neither seen nor heard anything of them.
    4
    2
  • The stores, the prisoners, and the marshal's baggage train stopped at the village of Shamshevo.
    4
    2
  • An infantry regiment which had left Tarutino three thousand strong but now numbered only nine hundred was one of the first to arrive that night at its halting place--a village on the highroad.
    4
    2
  • Dusty didn't care about the village.
    1
    0
  • The Dark One could drain a village in two days.
    1
    0
  • The word "HOSTEL" was emblazoned across the side of what looked like a large red barn/bar in the center of the village.
    1
    0
  • Lankha hesitated but moved forward with a look over his shoulder at the village.
    1
    0
  • While Kris would love to sacrifice a certain infuriating mortal to further his cause, he wouldn.t even sacrifice her, let alone allow Darkyn.s to wipe out a village.
    1
    0
  • Jade said if they don.t get what they want, they.d unleash their demons on the human village.
    1
    0
  • Heal him, or I eat your village.
    1
    0
  • The local barbarians told us of its power, how it can heal a man from death and stop a storm from destroying a village.
    1
    0
  • Nine miles from Tebessa are the extensive phosphate quarries of Jebel Dyr, where is also an interesting megalithic village.
    1
    0
  • Nests of this species were found in 1821 by Johana Wilhelm Zetterstedt near Juckasj,rwi in Swedish Lapland, but little was known concerning its nidification until 1855, when John Wolley, after two years' ineffectual search, succeeded in obtaining near the Finnish village Muonioniska, on the Swedish frontier, well-authenticated specimens with the eggs, both of which are like exaggerated bullfinches'.
    17
    16
  • Thus unfortunate in his birth, young Hastings received the elements of education at a charity school in his native village.
    1
    0
  • There may be seen the native dances and break-neck horse-racesthe riders bareback - through the main street of the village.
    1
    0
  • The name of Mannheim was connected with its present site in the 8th century, when a small village belonging to the abbey of Lorsch lay in the marshy district between the Neckar and the Rhine.
    1
    0
  • To the south of this village, on the Rhine, was the castle of Eicholzheim, which acquired some celebrity as the place of confinement assigned to Pope John XXIII.
    1
    0
  • As a boy he attended the Volksschule of his native village, and at the age of seventeen, having passed through the gymnasium of Kdslin, went to Berlin to study medicine.
    1
    0
  • Under the shelter of the castle lies the modern village.
    1
    0
  • The modern village is a part of the commune of Rome.
    1
    0
  • During his stay at the Northamptonshire village of Holdenby or Holmby - where Sir Thomas Herbert complains the green was not well kept - Charles frequently rode over to Lord Vaux's place at Harrowden, or to Lord Spencer's at Althorp, for a game, and, according to one account, was actually playing on the latter green when Cornet Joyce came to Holmby to remove him to other quarters.
    1
    0
  • In the outskirts is a village of Africans from the Sudan - a curious remnant of the forces collected by Ali Pasha.
    1
    0
  • The village was founded by David Dale (1739-1806) in 1785, with the support of Sir Richard Arkwright, inventor of the spinning-frame, who thought the spot might be made the Manchester of Scotland.
    1
    0
  • Of these Iulis is represented by the town of Zea, and Carthaea by the village of 'S tais Polais; traces of the other two can still be made out.
    1
    0
  • There are Turkish primary and secondary schools in some of the towns; in the village mosques instruction in the Koran is given by the imams, but neither reading nor writing is taught.
    2
    1
  • Its chief town and the residence of the governor used to be Joshekan-Kali, a large village with fine gardens, formerly famous for its carpets (kali), but now the chief place is Maimeh, a little city with a population of 2500, situated at an elevation of 6670 ft., about 63 m.
    1
    0
  • The village of Comorin, with the temple of Kanniyambal, the " virgin goddess," on the coast at the apex of the headland, is a frequented place of pilgrimage.
    1
    0
  • The office, Mark Napier states, is repeatedly mentioned in the family charters as appertaining to the "pultre landis" near the village of Dene in the shire of Linlithgow.
    1
    0
  • The northern part of the city was the village of Lansingburg (pop. 1900, 12,595) until 1901, when with parts of the towns of Brunswick and North Greenbush it was annexed to Troy.
    1
    0
  • The county-seat was established here in 17 9 3, and Troy was incorporated as a village in 1794 and was chartered as a city in 1816.
    1
    0
  • That Brighton was a large fishing village in 1086 is evident from the rent of 4000 herrings; in 1285 it had a separate constable, and in 1333 it was assessed for a tenth and fifteenth at £5:4:64, half the assessment of Shoreham.
    1
    0
  • The village of Siloam has also increased in size, and the western slopes of Olivet are being covered with churches, monasteries and houses.
    1
    0
  • Another small group of ruins in the same style is found at the village of Hajjiabad, on the Pulwar, a good hour's walk above Takhti Jamshid.
    1
    0
  • The village lies 2 m.
    1
    0
  • The modern er-Riha is a poor squalid village of, it is estimated, about 300 inhabitants.
    1
    0
  • The mound of Tell es-Sultan, near "Elisha's Fountain," north of the modern village, no doubt covers the Canaanite town.
    1
    0
  • An old tower attributed to them is to be seen in the village, and in the surrounding mountains are many remains of early monasticism.
    1
    0
  • It lies in a healthy, hilly district, and has grown in modern times from a village into a large residential town.
    1
    0
  • Large deposits of alum occur close to the village of Bulladelah, 30 m.
    1
    0
  • The village of Oude Schild has a harbour.
    1
    0
  • The principal village of West-Terschelling has a harbour.
    1
    0
  • The island of Schiermonnikoog has a village and a lighthouse.
    1
    0
  • Gondar was a small village when at the beginning of the 16th century it was chosen by the Negus Sysenius (Seged I.) as the capital of his kingdom.
    2
    1
  • Akron was settled about 1825, was incorporated as a village in 1836, was made the county-seat in 1842, and in 1865 was chartered as a city.
    1
    0
  • The castle of the Camminghas in the village of Ballum remained standing till 1810, and finally disappeared in 1829 after four centuries.
    0
    0
  • The original name of Palenque has been lost, and its present name is taken from the neighbouring village, Santo Domingo del Palenque.
    0
    0
  • Augusta occupies the site of the Indian village, Koussinoc, at which the Plymouth Colony established a trading post about 1628.
    0
    0
  • Woolwich seems to have been a small fishing village until in the beginning of the 16th century it rose into prominence as a dockyard and naval station.
    0
    0
  • Any community containing thirty or more houses may, with the approval of the selectmen of the town, receive a separate village organization.
    0
    0
  • The water-side village of Jaragua, the port of MaceiO, is practically a suburb of the city.
    0
    0
  • Valparaiso was settled about 1835, incorporated in 1856 as a village and chartered as a city in 1865.
    0
    0
  • On the shore below is the little village of Sermione, with sulphur baths.
    0
    0
  • The capital of the little province is Natanz, a large village with a population of about 3000, situated 69 m.
    0
    0
  • From this time onward the village dwindled to the poor dirty place it is to-day.
    0
    0
  • The walls can be traced almost all round the town: at the end of the mound opposite the modern village are the dilapidated ruins of a large gate.
    0
    0
  • It adjoins the village of Partabgarh proper, and the civil station sometimes known as Andrewganj.
    0
    0
  • At South Manchester, an attractive industrial village, a silk mill was built in 1838; the silk mills of one firm (Cheney Brothers) here cover about 12 acres; the company has done much for its employees, whose homes are almost all detached cottages in attractive grounds.
    0
    0
  • The village is situated in a farming country, about 1700 ft.
    0
    0
  • A post office was established here in 182 9, and the village was incorporated in 1861.
    0
    0
  • His army found itself a little to the north of the town near the village of Legnano, when the troops of the city, assisted only by a few allies from Piacenza, Verona, Brescia, Novara and Vercelli, met and overwhelmed it.
    0
    0
  • On the following day, however, the Abyssinians succeeded in surprising, near the village of Dogali, an Italian force of 524 officers and men under Colonel De Cristoforis, who were convoying provisions to the garrison of Saati.
    0
    0
  • Mangash thereupon took the offensive and attempted to occupy the village of Coatit in Okul-Kusai, but was forestalled and defeated by Baratieri on the 13th of January 1895.
    0
    0
  • The burgh, which stretches for a mile along the south shore of the Firth of Forth, is intersected by the Esk and embraces the village of Fisherrow on the left bank of the river.
    0
    0
  • A statue was erected to his memory at Sens in 1861, and in 1865 the name of his native village was changed to Louptiere-Thenard.
    0
    0
  • A stone bridge over the Wye connects the town with the village and parish church of Cwmdauddwr.
    0
    0
  • The plan of Shakespeare's Stratford at least is preserved, for the road crossing Clopton's bridge is an ancient highway, and forks in the midst of the town into three great branches, about which the village grew up. The high cross no longer stands at the marketplace where these roads converged.
    0
    0
  • Then Deioces, son of Phraortes, an illustrious man of upright character, was chosen judge in his village, and the justness of his decisions induced the inhabitants of the other villages to throng to him.
    0
    0
  • Kenosha, originally known as Southport, was settled about 1832, organized as the village of Southport in 1842, and chartered in 1850 as a city under its present name.
    0
    0
  • The plains about Sabzawar are highly cultivated by the Nurzai Duranis, and each village boasts its own little mud fort.
    0
    0
  • Remains of Comana are still to be seen near a village called Gumenek on the Tozanli Su, 7 m.
    0
    0
  • The imam died in March 819 in the village Sanabad near Tus, some miles north-west of Meshed.
    0
    0
  • Thus the prayers of the Todas already alluded to are in all cases uttered "in the throat," although these are public prayers, each village having a form of its own.
    0
    0
  • The present name is El-Jib; this is a small village about 5 m.
    0
    0
  • The town lay on the south side of the outer harbour, near the village of Miseno, where remains of a theatre and baths and the inscriptions relating to the town have been found.
    0
    0
  • The assembly of the mir consists of all the peasant householders of the village.'
    0
    0
  • Europe, with this difference that it makes its appearance without See Collection of Materials on the Village Community, vol.
    0
    0
  • Sericulture is taught in a number of special schools and in a great number of village schools.
    0
    0
  • The usual practice was for the whole of the people in one village to devote themselves to one special occupation.
    0
    0
  • Thus, while one village would produce nothing but felt shoes, another would carve sacred images (ikons), and a third spin flax only, a fourth make wooden spoons, a fifth nails, a sixth iron chains, and so on.
    0
    0
  • The animals were decorated with wampum and strangled, and then the sins of the people were transferred to them; then the remains were burned and the ashes gathered up, taken through the village and sprinkled before every house.
    0
    0
  • Next to Stanley the most important place on East Falkland is Darwin on Choiseul Sound - a village of Scottish shepherds and a station of the Falkland Island Company.
    0
    0
  • Till 1765 it was only a village under the name of Causewayhead, but the discovery of marl in the lake brought it some prosperity, and it was purchased in 1792 by Sir William Douglas and called after him.
    0
    0
  • He describes for instance the Sunday games in the village, football, and the struggle for food at great feasts; 1 Script.
    0
    0
  • The village of Tonopah sprang into existence as soon as the rush of newcomers to this region began, and in 1903 it contained 4000 inhabitants.
    0
    0
  • A little to the south of a village called Deir Diwan, and one hour's journey south-east from Bethel, is the site of an ancient place called Khirbet Haiydn, indicated by reservoirs hewn in the rock, excavated tombs and foundations of hewn stone.
    0
    0
  • It has also been identified with a mound now called et-Tell (" the heap"), but though the name of a neighbouring village, Turmus Aya, is suggestive, it is in the wrong direction from Bethel.
    0
    0
  • It flows at first through rather monotonous country, but the latter portion of its course, from the village of Altenahr, over which tower the ruins of the castle of Ahr, or Are (10th century), is full of romantic beauty.
    0
    0
  • The chief record of the dialect or patois we owe to the goddess Angitia, whose chief temple and grove stood at the south-west corner of Lake Fucinus, near the inlet to the emissarius of Claudius (restored by Prince Torlonia), and the modern village of Luco.
    0
    0
  • In the tropics "no European house should be located nearer to a native village than half a mile" (Manson), and, since children are almost universally infected, "the presence of young natives in the house should be absolutely interdicted" (Manson).
    0
    0
  • It concluded an alliance with Rome in 308 B.C. The modern village lies higher than the ancient town, and excavations on the site of the latter in 1775 and following years led to the discovery of the baths, a theatre, a basilica and other buildings.
    0
    0
  • In the village of Bagno Caldo there is a hospital constructed largely at the expense of Nicholas Demidoff in 1826.
    0
    0
  • In the neighbouring village of Salinetas de Elda there are warm sulphur and saline baths.
    0
    0
  • Troops were sent to pacify the country, and in one village a soldier found a copy of Moses' laws and tore it up in public with jeers and blasphemies.
    0
    0
  • Austin was settled in 1855, was incorporated as a village in 1868, and was chartered as a city in 1873.
    0
    0
  • The first mill was built in 1878, and the village was named from the French word claquet (sound of the mill).
    0
    0
  • Cloquet was incorporated as a village in 1883 and was chartered as a city in 1903.
    0
    0
  • He became vicar of Morwenstow, a village on the north Cornish coast, in 1834.
    0
    0
  • Settled about 1854, Ashland was incorporated as a village in 1863 and received a city charter in 1887.
    0
    0
  • Ottawa was laid out in 1830, incorporated as a village in 1838 and chartered as a city in 1853.
    0
    0
  • Above the village are the ruins of the castle of Rheingrafenstein (12th century), formerly a seat of the count palatine of the Rhine, which was destroyed by the French in 1689, and those of the castle of Ebernburg, the ancestral seat of the lords of Sickingen, and the birthplace of Franz von Sickingen, the famous landsknecht captain and protector of Ulrich von Hutten, to whom a monument was erected on the slope near the ruins in 1889.
    0
    0
  • The village community has always existed as the social unit in the Mahratta territories, though with less cohesion among its members than in the village communities of Hindustan and the Punjab.
    0
    0
  • The ancient offices pertaining to the village, as those of the headmen (patel), the village accountant, &c., are in working order throughout the Mahratta country.
    0
    0
  • This lies near the village of Quinua, in an elevated valley 11,600 ft.
    0
    0
  • At the end of the 3rd century it appears as a colony, and in the 5th century it became an episcopal see, which (jointly with Teano since 1818) it still is, though it is now a mere village.
    0
    0
  • The site has never been lost, and the present village Zercin retains the name radically unchanged.
    0
    0
  • The village church of Beauchief Abbey, near Dronfield, is a remnant of an abbey founded c. 1175 by Robert Fitzranulf.
    0
    0
  • The village of Tissington is noted for the maintenance of an old custom, that of "well-dressing."
    0
    0
  • If we study the economy of a village, the idiosyncrasies of every individual in it are of importance.
    0
    0
  • If the village is replaced by a large area, inhabited by millions, with modern facilities of communication, it is a matter of observation and experience that for the purposes of general reasoning the idiosyncrasies of individuals may be neglected.
    0
    0
  • Pop. (1901), 5102, including the adjacent village of Hakin.
    0
    0
  • On the 19th of November the little army reached Lagena, a village about 9 m.
    0
    0
  • In 1789 White's share of the correspondence, together with some miscellaneous matter, was published as The Natural History of Selborne - from the name of the village in which he lived.
    0
    0
  • This industrial centre is continued eastward in the urban district of East Ham (pop. 96,018), where the old village church of St Mary Magdalene retains Norman portions.
    0
    0
  • West Ham village was included in the part which descended to the Gernons, who took the name of Montfichet.
    0
    0
  • Passing the village of Cuyahoga Falls the Cuyahoga river descends more than 200 ft.
    0
    0
  • The county and the township are the units of the rural, the city and the village the units of the urban local The provision for circuit courts was first made in the constitution by an amendment of 1883.
    0
    0
  • W., near the existing village of Cajabamba.
    0
    0
  • The present village, which bears the name of Beitin, occupies about three or four acres, and has a population of 2000.
    0
    0
  • The first settlement was made in 1801 by Augustus Sackett, and the village was incorporated in 1821.
    0
    0
  • Margate (Meregate, Mergate), formerly a small fishing village, was an ancient and senior non-corporate member of Dover.
    0
    0
  • Under Elizabeth Margate was still an obscure fishing village employing about 20 small vessels ("boys") in the coasting and river trades, chiefly in the conveyance of grain, on which in 1791 it chiefly subsisted.
    0
    0
  • The village is the home of many New York business men.
    0
    0
  • Near the village is the state military camp, where the national guard of the state meets in annual encampment.
    0
    0
  • The site was settled early in the 18th century, but the village itself dates from about 1760, when it took its present name from the adjacent creek or "kill," on which a Dutch trader, Jans Peek, of New York City, had established a trading post.
    0
    0
  • The village was incorporated in 1816.
    0
    0
  • In the south-western part of Pittsfield, on the boundary between it and Hancock, is Shaker Village, settled about 1790 by Shakers.
    0
    0
  • As early as 1823 the brothers Dubinin erected a refinery in the village of Mosdok, and in 1846 applied to Prince Woronzoff for a subsidy for extending the use of petroleum-distillates in the Caucasus.
    0
    0
  • To the crusading king of I The manorial system in the Latin kingdom of Jerusalem was a continuation of the village system as it had existed under the Arabs.
    0
    0
  • Gian Francesco Poggio Bracciolini, Italian scholar of the Renaissance, was born in 1380 at Terranuova, a village in the territory of Florence.
    0
    0
  • The principal village is Capsali, a place of about 1500 inhabitants, at the southern extremity, with a bishop, and several convents and churches; the lesser hamlets are Modari, Potamo and San Nicolo.
    0
    0
  • Near the village a "wishing well" of ancient fame is seen, and close to it the ruins of a baptistery of extreme antiquity.
    0
    0
  • Three miles north-east is the urban district of Ludgvan (pop. 2274), and to the south is Paul (6332), which includes the village of Newlyn.
    0
    0
  • Penzance (Pensans) was not recognized as a port until the days of the Tudors, but its importance as a fishing village dates from the 14th century.
    0
    0
  • This village (pop. 3435) is one of the richest lead-mining centres in Europe.
    0
    0
  • The greater part of the old village of Luxor lay inside the courts: it was known also as Abu '1 Haggag from a Moslem saint of the 7th century, whose tombmosque, mentioned by Ibn Batuta, stands on a high heap of debris in the court of Rameses.
    0
    0
  • Streator was laid out in 1868, was incorporated as a village in 1870 and was chartered as a city in 1882.
    0
    0
  • The village became a station on the Underground Railway, and an important centre of anti-slavery sentiment.
    0
    0
  • At the conclusion of the Greek War of Independence, Athens was little more than a village of the Turkish type, the poorly built houses clustering on the northern and eastern slopes of the Acropolis.
    0
    0
  • The Peiraeus, which had never revived since its destruction by the Romans in 86 s.c., was at the beginning of the 19th century a small fishing village known as Porto Leone.
    0
    0
  • The site was occupied by a small fishing village until 1865, when the shogun's government established a shipyard here.
    0
    0
  • There are many fine country places, two private schools - the Mackenzie school for boys and the Misses Masters' school for girls - and the children's village (with about thirty cottages) of the New York juvenile asylum.
    0
    0
  • The name of the village was derived from a Swede, Jeremiah Dobbs, whose family probably moved hither from Delaware, and who at the beginning of the last quarter of the 18th century had a skiff ferry, which was kept up by his family for a century afterwards.
    0
    0
  • The position of the village opposite the northernmost end of the Palisades gave it importance during the war.
    0
    0
  • In 1873 the village was incorporated as Greenburgh, from the township of the same name which in 1788 had been set apart from the manor of Phillipsburgh; but the name Dobbs Ferry was soon resumed.
    0
    0
  • There may have been a Romano-British village on this site on the Watling Street.
    0
    0
  • The village is served by the New York Central & Hudson River railway, by the Buffalo, Lockport & Rochester electric railway, and by the Erie Canal.
    0
    0
  • The village manufactures agricultural implements, vinegar, evaporated fruit, and canned fruit and vegetables, and has two large coldstorage houses.
    0
    0
  • Daily stages connect the village with Farmville (pop. in 1900, 2471), the county-seat, 6 m.
    0
    0
  • Until the German occupation nothing but an insignificant village existed at Dar-es-Salaam.
    0
    0
  • The considerable village of Grasmere lies beautifully at the head of the lake of that name; and above Esthwaite is the small town of Hawkshead, with an ancient church, and picturesque houses curiously built on the hill-slope and sometimes spanning the streets.
    0
    0
  • In 18 4 7 the village of Rutland was incorporated, and in 1892 a portion of the township including the village was chartered as a city.
    0
    0
  • A little farther down it becomes completely navigable, and attains a breadth of 4200 ft.; but between the village of Ostrovki and that of Ust-Tosna it passes over a limestone bed, which produces a series of rapids, and reduces the width of the river from 1050 to 840 and that of the navigable passage from 350 to 175 ft.
    0
    0
  • Two miles south of Rotorua is another native village, Whakarewarewa, where there are geysers as well as hot springs.
    0
    0
  • Pop. of the village (1890) 7014; (1900) 5671, of whom 1092 were foreign-born; (1905, state census) 5251; of the township (1900) 8631; (1905) 8217.
    0
    0
  • The village Bolgari near Kanzan, surrounded by numerous graves in which most interesting archaeological finds have been made, occupies the site of one of the cities - perhaps the capital - of that extinct kingdom.
    0
    0
  • The village is best known as a summer resort; it is built on bluffs and on a series of terraces rising from Round and Pine lakes and affording extensive views; and there are a number of attractive summer residences.
    0
    0
  • Charlevoix was settled about 1866, and was incorporated as a village in 1879.
    0
    0
  • Heraclea Sintica, a town in Thracian Macedonia, to the south of the Strymon, the site of which is marked by the village of Zervokhori, and identified by the discovery of local coins.
    0
    0
  • Modern Eregli had grown from a large village to a town since the railway reached it from Konia and Karaman in 1904; and it has now an hotel and good shops.
    0
    0
  • Lancaster was incorporated as a village in 1831 and twenty years later became a city of the third class.
    0
    0
  • Two gates, the one of the time of Edward I., the other erected early in the 15th century, overlook the marshes; a third stands at a considerable distance west of the town, its position pointing the contrast between the extent of the ancient town and that of the shrunken village of to-day.
    0
    0
  • The village of Sheringham (pop. of urban district, 2359), lying to the west, is also frequented by visitors.
    0
    0
  • They often set fire to a village by night and captured the inhabitants when trying to escape.
    0
    0
  • On the accession of the emperor Paul in 1796 she was deprived of all her offices, and ordered to retire to a miserable village in the government of Novgorod, "to meditate on the events of 1762."
    0
    0
  • Cambridge was first settled in 1798 by emigrants from the island of Guernsey (whence the name of the county); was laid out as a town in 1806; was incorporated as a village in 1837; and was chartered as a city in 1893.
    0
    0
  • He read plays, attended the village fairs, shot plovers in the fenland, and enjoyed a dance with his sisters.
    0
    0
  • The only landing-place is the village of Ham, on the east coast.
    0
    0
  • And further, since the Exalted One was born in it, he reduced taxation in the village of Lumbini, and established the dues at one-eighth part (of the crop)."
    0
    0
  • The village of South Hadley, or the Center, lies at the south base of Mount Holyoke, about 4 m.
    0
    0
  • About half a mile to the north-west of the village is the Menec system, which consists of eleven lines, numbers 874 menhirs, and extends a distance of 3376 ft.
    0
    0
  • About a mile east of the village is a small piece of moorland called the Bossenno, from the bocenieu or mounds with which it is covered; and here, in 1874, the explorations of James Miln, a Scottish antiquary, brought to light the remains of a Gallo-Roman town.
    0
    0
  • The Spanish town, according to Velasco, was founded in 1538 by Captain Pedro Angules on the site of an Indian village called Chuquisaca, or Chuquichaca (golden bridge), and was called Charcas and Ciudad de la Plata by the Spaniards, though the natives clung to the original Indian name.
    0
    0
  • For primary education there are three grades of schools: (1) infant schools, of which there is one in every village; (2) primary schools in the larger villages; (3) superior primary schools.
    0
    0
  • Every village or town district has a kind of mayor (mukhtar) appointed by election and approved by the official provincial authorities, and a " council of ancients " whose members are elected directly.
    0
    0
  • The line was thus continued to a station taking its name from Bulgurlu, a small straggling village four miles away, between which and Eregli there is not a single habitation.
    0
    0
  • On the conquest of a country the lands were apportioned by the nishanjis, who first computed the tithe revenueof each village, its population, woods, pasturage, &c.; and divided it into the three classes of fiefs (khas, ziamet and timar), or into vakilf (pious endowments) or pasturage.
    0
    0
  • Bernadotte, we have seen, had marched to Dornburg, or rather to a point overlooking the ford across the Saale at the village of that name, and reached there in ample time to intervene, on either field.
    0
    0
  • On the other hand, Blucher carried the village of Mbckern and came within a mile of the gates of the town.
    0
    0
  • This is one of four similar Jewish shrines in Irak; the others being the tomb of Ezra on the Shatt el-Arab near Korna, the tomb of Ezekiel in the village of Kefil near Kufa, and the well of Daniel near Hillah.
    0
    0
  • He reached Benin, but was seized with dysentery at a village called Gwato, and died there on the 3rd of December 1823.
    0
    0
  • On the "farm" the city maintains an "infirmary village," a tuberculosis sanatorium, a detention hospital, a convalescent hospital and houses of correction.
    0
    0
  • In 1800 the entire Western Reserve was erected into the county of Trumbull and a township government was given to Cleveland; ten years later Cleveland was made the seat of government of the new county of Cuyahoga, and in 1814 it was incorporated as a village.
    0
    0
  • Three miles south, in Sussex, the village of Frant stands on a hill which is perhaps the finest of the many view-points in this district, commanding a wide prospect over some of the richest woodland scenery in England.
    0
    0
  • The site of the last is identified with the chapel of St Nicolas; a few portions of the outer walls of the city can be traced; and the name Epidaurus is still preserved by the little village of Nea-Epidavros, or Pidhavro.
    0
    0
  • Two small rivers (Mill and Fort) flow through the township. Amherst is a quiet, pleasing, academic village of attractive homes.
    0
    0
  • The sale of intoxicating liquors is for the most part regulated by licences, but the granting of licences may be prohibited within any town or incorporated village by its legal voters, and the question must be submitted to popular vote upon the request of ten legal voters.
    0
    0
  • The valley portion is level and contains several settlement centres, the largest of which, a busy industrial village (manufactures of cotton and paper), bears the same name as the township, and is on a branch of the Boston and Albany railroad.
    0
    0
  • The village is the nearest station to Greylock, which can be easily ascended, and affords fine views of the Hoosac and Housatonic valleys, the Berkshire Hills and the Green Mountains; the mountain has been a state timber reservation since 1898.
    0
    0
  • The ancient town of Melos was nearer to the entrance of the harbour than Adamanta, and occupied the slope between the village of Trypete and the landing-place at Klima.
    0
    0
  • After several military successes gained by Zizka (q.v.) in 1423 and the following year, a treaty of peace between the Hussites was concluded on the 13th of September 1424 at Liben, a village near Prague, now part of that city.
    0
    0
  • Since the emancipation of the serfs in 1861, it has been steadily increasing, the Russian peasants of a village often emigrating en bloc.'
    0
    0
  • The land is held by the Russian village communities in virtue of the right of occupation.
    0
    0
  • The church, which stands inland in the old village distinguished as Upper Dovercourt, is Early English and later; it formerly possessed a miraculous rood which became an object of pilgrimage of wide repute.
    0
    0
  • The assessors estimated the individual incomes arbitrarily, village quarrels and rivalries leading them to over-charge some and under-charge others, and complaints were numberless on this point.
    0
    0
  • The bailey or base-court containing other buildings and covering three times the area of the château extended between it and the village.
    0
    0
  • Pontiac, named in honour of the famous Indian chief of that name, was laid out as a town in 1818, became the county-seat in 1820, was incorporated as a village in 1837, and was chartered in 1861.
    0
    0
  • There was a village at Torre even before the foundation of the abbey, and in the neighbourhood of Torre evidence has been found of Roman occupation.
    0
    0
  • Until the middle of the 19th century it was an insignificant fishing village.
    0
    0
  • His first ministerial charge was over a small village parish, West Roxbury, a few miles from Boston; here he was ordained as a Unitarian clergyman in June 1837 and here he preached until January 1846.
    0
    0
  • This stream furnishes good water power, and the village has manufactories of cotton and woollen goods, lumber, woodenware, gold and silver plated ware, carriages, wagons and screens.
    0
    0
  • The village was founded in 1772 by Ira Allen and for many years it was known as "Allen's Settlement"; but later it was called Winooski Falls, and in 1866 it was incorporated as the Village of Winooski.
    0
    0
  • The name Deir means monastery, but there is no other trace or tradition of the occupation of the site before the 14th century, and until it became the capital of the sanjak it was an insignificant village.
    0
    0
  • A small island, Hog Island, is included in the township. The principal village, also known as Bristol, is a port of entry with a capacious and deep harbour, has manufactories of rubber and woollen goods, and is well known as a yacht-building centre, several defenders of the America Cup, including the "Columbia" and the "Reliance," having been built in the Herreshoff yards here.
    0
    0
  • In 1680, immediately after Plymouth had conveyed the "Neck" to a company of four, the village was laid out; the following year, in anticipation of future commercial importance, the township and the village were named Bristol, from the town in England.
    0
    0
  • Still farther west lies the village of Cramond (pop. of parish, 3815), at the mouth of the river Almond, where Roman remains have often been found.
    0
    0
  • Duddingston (pop. 2023), once a quiet village, has become a centre of the distilling and brewing industries.
    0
    0
  • Adjoining is the village of Gilmerton (pop. 1482), which used to supply Edinburgh with yellow sand, when sanded floors were a feature in the humbler class of houses.
    0
    0
  • This embraced portions of South Leith parish (landward) and of Duddingston parish, including the village of Restalrig and the ground lying on both sides of the main road from Edinburgh to Portobello; and also part of Cramond parish, in which is contained the village and harbour of Granton.
    0
    0
  • It is probable that the Ottadeni built a fort or camp on the rock on which Edinburgh Castle now stands, which was thus the nucleus around which, in course of time, grew a considerable village.
    0
    0
  • Hence, though the village of Canongate grew up beside the abbey of David I., and Edinburgh was a place of sufficient importance to be reckoned one of the four principal burghs as a judicatory for all commercial matters, nevertheless, even so late as 1450, when it became for the first time a walled town, it did not extend beyond the upper part of the ridge which slopes eastwards from the castle.
    0
    0
  • Once he had defended the monastic orders, advocating their reform and not their suppression, supported the rural clergy and idealized the village priest in his Parocho da Aldeia, after the manner of Goldsmith in the Vicar of Wakefield.
    0
    0
  • In that rough age crimes of violence predominated, and the king's justiciars regularly perambulated the land in search of offenders, and decimated every village which refused to surrender fugitive criminals.
    0
    0
  • He re-codified the Hungarian common law; strictly defined the jurisdiction of the whole official hierarchy from the palatine to the humblest village judge; cheapened and accelerated legal procedure, and in an age when might was right did his utmost to protect the weak from the strong.
    0
    0
  • Joseph Gvadanyi's tripartite work Falusi notdrius (Village Notary), published between 1790 and 1796, as also his Ronto Pal es gr.
    0
    0
  • Among successful dramatic pieces may be mentioned the Falu rossza (Village Scamp) of Edward Toth (1875), which represents the life of the Hungarian peasantry, and shows both poetic sentiment and dramatic skill; A szerelem harcza (Combat of Love), by Count Geza Zichy; Iskdriot (1876) and the prize tragedy Tamora (1879), by Anthony Varady; Janus (1877), by Gregory Csiky; and the dramatized romance Szep Mikhal (Handsome Michal), by Maurus Jokai (1877).
    0
    0
  • Bettws y coed is a favourite village for artists and tourists.
    0
    0
  • Canton was laid out as a town in 1805, became the county-seat in 1808, was incorporated as a village in 1822 and in 1854 V S chartered as a city.
    0
    0
  • The Serbian and Bulgarian anthems were sung on the streets, collections were made in every village for the Balkan Red Cross funds, and when Austria-Hungary mobilized, protests were heard on every side against the bare possibility of war with Serbia, which to the Yugosla y s would be a veritable civil war.
    0
    0
  • Poor and squalid streets are found, in close proximity to the wealthiest localities, between Marylebone Road and St John's Wood Road, and about High Street in the south, the .site of the original village.
    0
    0
  • Besides the rock-salt, which is excavated by blasting, the saline deposits of Stassfurt yield a considerable quantity of deliquescent salts and other saline products, which have encouraged the foundation of numerous chemical factories in the town and in the neighbouring village of Leopoldshall, which lies in Anhalt territory.
    0
    0
  • Mechanicville (originally called Burrow) was chartered by the county court in 1859, and incorporated as a village in 1870.
    0
    0
  • Potgieter settled in the Zoutpansberg, while other farmers chose as headquarters a place on the inner slopes of the Drakensberg, where they founded a village called Andries Ohrigstad.
    0
    0
  • It proved fever-ridden and was abandoned, a new village being laid out on higher ground and named Lydenburg in memory of their sufferings at the abandoned settlement.
    0
    0
  • Schoemansdal, a village at the foot of the Zoutpansberg, was the most important settlement of the district, and the most advanced outpost in European occupation at that time in South Africa.
    0
    0
  • June brought little of, moment, though the Boers scored two minor successes, Kritzinger capturing the village of Jamestown in Cape Colony, and Muller reducing a force of Victorians at Wilmansrust, south of Middelburg.
    0
    0
  • Four miles lower down the Irfon valley, at the junction of the Cammarch and Irfon, and with a station on the London & North Western railway, is the village of Llangammarch, noted for its barium springs.
    0
    0
  • Of this group of people, among whom may be named the Yao, Yao Yin, Lanten, Meo, Musur (or Muhso) and Kaw, perhaps the best known and most like the Lao are the Lu - both names meaning originally "man" - who have in many cases adopted a form of Buddhism (flavoured strongly by their natural respect for local spirits as well as tattooing) and other relatively civilized customs, and have forsaken their wandering life among the hills for a more settled village existence.
    0
    0
  • She sent him and her other son John to Armenia as missionaries, and they settled at the village of Episparis, or "seedplot," in Phanarea.
    0
    0
  • There was a Romano-British village on the site of Faversham.
    0
    0
  • Richmond was incorporated as a village in 1818 and chartered as a borough in 1834 and as a city in 1840.
    0
    0
  • They cherish great love of their native soil and native village and cannot remain long from home.
    0
    0
  • The Annamese village is self-governing.
    0
    0
  • The surface of the llanos is almost a dead level, the general elevation 1 The name means " little Venice," and is a modification of the name of Venecia (Venice), originally bestowed by Alonzo de Ojeda in 1499 on an Indian village, composed of pile dwellings on the shores of the Gulf of Maracaibo, which was called by him the Gulf of Venecia.
    0
    0
  • Kalamazoo was settled in 1829, was known as Bronson (in honour of Titus Bronson, an early settler) until 1836, was incorporated as the village of Kalamazoo in 1838, and in 1884 became a city under a charter granted in the preceding year.
    0
    0
  • Both honours were taken from it to be given to Santiago de Cuba; and for two centuries after this Baracoa remained an obscure village, with little commerce.
    0
    0
  • A village still called Oropo occupies the site of the ancient town.
    0
    0
  • The village dates from 1785, and it became a burgh of barony in 1792.
    0
    0
  • It needs some temerity to differ from so great an authority as Dr Guest, but it strikes one as surprising that, having accepted the fact of a bridge made by the Britons, he should deny that these Britons possessed a town or village in the place to which he supposes that Aulus Plautius retired.
    0
    0
  • For many centuries this district between London and Westminster was a kind of " no man's land " having certain archaic customs. Gomme in his Governance of London (1907) gives an account of the connexion of this with the old village of Aldwich, a name that survived in Wych Street, and has been revived by the London County Council in Aldwych, the crescent which leads to Kingsway.
    0
    0
  • St Giles's was literally a village in the fields; Piccadilly was " the waye to Redinge," Oxford Street " the way to Uxbridge," Covent Garden an open field or garden, and Leicester Fields lammas land.
    0
    0
  • Beggars frequented the place, and travellers from the village of Hoxton, who crossed it in order to get into London, did so with as much expedition as possible.
    0
    0
  • Kensington was then an insignificant village, but the arrival of the court soon caused it to grow in importance.
    0
    0
  • Dugort, the principal village, contains several hotels.
    0
    0
  • Now a small village, Tapadibi, occupies its seat.
    0
    0
  • Finally, there are the village headmen, assisted in Upper Burma by elders, variously designated according to old custom.
    0
    0
  • The system under which in towns headmen of wards and elders of blocks are appointed is of comparatively recent origin, and is modelled on the village system.
    0
    0
  • The number of Burmese Christians is considerably increased by the inclusion among them of the Christian descendants of the Portuguese settlers of Syriam deported to the old Burmese Tabayin, a village now included in the Ye-u subdivision of Shwebo.
    0
    0
  • In almost every village in the province there is a monastery, where the most regular occupation of one or more of the resident pongyis, or Buddhist monks, is the instruction free of charge of the children of the village.
    0
    0
  • When the total amount payable by the village was thus determined, the village itself settled the amount to be paid by each individual householder.
    0
    0
  • Alompra, left by the conqueror in charge of the village of M6tshobo, planned the deliverance of his country.
    0
    0
  • By the Upper Burma Village Regulations and the Lower Burma Village Act, the villagers themselves were made responsible for maintaining order in every village, and the system has worked with the greatest success.
    0
    0
  • Certainly it soon lost its independence, and in Strabo's time was a mere village.
    0
    0
  • The site is one of great strength, and is now occupied by a fort, in the construction of which traces of the outer walls and of huts, and several wells and a cistern, all belonging to the primitive village, were discovered, and also the remains of a villa of the end of the Republic.
    0
    0
  • He suffered martyrdom at the village of Catulliacus, the modern St Denis.
    0
    0
  • Here was the Roman village or fort of Lagecium or Legeolium; and though visible remains are wanting, a number of relics have been discovered.
    0
    0
  • Omdurman, then an insignificant village, was chosen in 1884 by the Mandi Mahommed Ahmed as his capital and so continued after the fall of Khartum in January 1885.
    0
    0
  • The scriptural name is due, as often in Wales, to the village or hamlet taking its title from the Nonconformist church.
    0
    0
  • Later its shipping declined and in the 16th century it was little more than a fishing village.
    0
    0
  • At Sharanpur is a Christian village, with an orphanage of the C.M.S., founded in 1854.
    0
    0
  • The same year a new carriage-road was opened from Altdorf through the Schachen valley and over the Klausen Pass (6404 ft.) to the village of Linththal (30 m.) and so to Glarus.
    0
    0
  • One and a half mile from Altdorf by the Klausen road is the village of Burglen, where by tradition Tell was born; while he is also said to have lost his life, while saving that of a child, in the Schachen torrent that flows past the village.
    0
    0
  • It is situated in a narrow valley between two hills called West Mountain and Skene's Mountain, and Wood Creek flows through the village and empties into the lake with a fall, from which valuable water-power is derived; there are various manufactures, and the village owns and operates the water works.
    0
    0
  • It was incorporated as a village in 1806.
    0
    0
  • A tract of 162 acres of land near the village was cleared of trees and enclosed with a stockade.
    0
    0
  • Pop. of the township (1890), 1946; (1900) 4379; of the village (1900), about 2000, greatly increased during the summer season.
    0
    0
  • Berthelsdorf, a village about a mile distant, has been the seat of the directorate of the community since about 1789.
    0
    0
  • The fishing village of Arnemuiden flourished as a harbour in the 16th century, but decayed owing to the silting up of the sand.
    0
    0
  • Between Domburg and the village of Westkapelle there stretches the famous Westkapelle sea-dike.
    0
    0
  • The first settlement in the township was made in 1650 at what is now the village of East Norwalk by a small company from Hartford, and the township was incorporated in the next year.
    0
    0
  • The village was burned by the British under Governor Tryon on the 12th of July 1779, and the chair in which it is alleged Tryon sat, on Grumman's Hill, as he watched the flames, has been kept as a relic. Norwalk was incorporated as a borough in 1836 and was chartered as a city in 1893.
    0
    0
  • The town is a modern growth out of a village surrounding the church of St Giles, which dates from the 13th century, though rebuilt in 1840.
    0
    0
  • This points to the mound of debris called Tell-el-Jezari near the village of Abu Shusheh.
    0
    0
  • The first settlement on the east side of the Bay of Rio de Janeiro dates from 1671, when a chapel was erected at Praia Grande, in the vicinity of an Indian village.
    0
    0
  • The settlement did not become a village until 1819, when it was named Villa Real da Praia Grande.
    0
    0
  • At one isolated village the natives, who were unarmed, reported that they not unfrequently saw and heard the gorillas, which broke down the stalks of the plantains in the rear of the habitations to tear out and eat the tender heart.
    0
    0
  • On the old clearings of another village Mr Bates himself, although he did not see a gorilla, saw the fresh tracks of these great apes and the torn stems and discarded fruit rinds of the "mejoms," as well as the broken stalks of the latter, which had been used for beds.
    0
    0
  • Mount Vernon was settled in 1818, incorporated as a village in 1837 and chartered as a city in 1872.
    0
    0
  • Pop. of the township, including the village (1900), 1615; (1905, state census) 1784.
    0
    0
  • The village, which is connected by stage with the station, is situated at the junction of two valleys and commands delightful views of mountain scenery.
    0
    0
  • The principal industry of the village is the manufacture of roofing tiles.
    0
    0
  • The village of Alfred was chartered in 1887.
    0
    0
  • An hour's march to the east he discovered at the village of Medinat el Mahud the ruins of the Nagra metropolis of Ptolemy.
    0
    0
  • Duwan and found ancient ruins and inscriptions near the village of Hajren; thence he proceeded north-eastward to Hauta in the main valley, where he was hospitably received by the Kaiti sultan, and sent on to his deputy at Shibam.
    0
    0
  • Forming at once a church and a nation, they own allegiance to their hereditary patriarch, Mar Shimun, Catholicus of the East, who resides at Qudshanis, a village about 7000 ft.
    0
    0
  • North, who laid out Northfield and several other western towns, it was settled about 1851, incorporated as a village in 1868, and chartered as a city in 1875.
    0
    0
  • The well-known Passau crucibles are made at the neighbouring village of Obernzell.
    0
    0
  • There are two interesting old burying-grounds: one on Grove Street, near the Cambridge line, first used in 1642, contains a monument to John Coolidge, killed during the British retreat from Concord and Lexington on the 19th of April 1775; the other is near the centre of the village about the former site of the First Parish Church.
    0
    0
  • This line has been twice modified by treaties between Bolivia and Brazil, but without the consent of Peru, which claimed all the territory eastward to the Madeira between the above-mentioned line and the Beni-Madidi rivers, the line of demarcation following the Pablo-bamba, a small tributary of the Madidi, to its source, and thence in a straight line to the village of Conima, on Lake Titicaca.
    0
    0
  • Callao (q.v.) is a noteworthy exception, and Paita and Pisco are something more than the average coast village.
    0
    0
  • Toledo enacted that one-seventh of the male population of a village should be subject to conscription for this service, but they were to be paid, and were not to be taken beyond a specified distance from their homes.
    0
    0
  • The southern coast in particular is deeply indented; and there two bold peninsulas, extending for several miles into the sea, form two capacious natural harbours, namely, Deep Water Bay, with the village of Stanley to the east, and Tytam Bay, which has a safe, well-protected entrance showing a depth of 10 to 16 fathoms. An in-shore island on the west coast, called Aberdeen, or Taplishan, affords protection to the Shekpywan or Aberdeen harbour, an inlet provided with a granite graving dock, the caisson gate of which is 60 ft.
    0
    0
  • In 1833-1835 he published The Splendid Village; Corn-Law Rhymes, and other Poems (3 vols.), which included "The Village Patriarch" (1829), "The Ranter," an unsuccessful drama, "Keronah," and other pieces.
    0
    0
  • The brick enclosure wall of the temple is still plainly visible near the little village of Sa el hagar (Sa of stone) on the east bank of the Rosetta branch, but the royal tombs and other monuments of Sais, some of which were described by Herodotus, and its inscribed records, have all gone.
    0
    0
  • He was educated at the village school until the age of twelve, and owing to congenital lameness had to walk with crutches.
    0
    0
  • It was incorporated as a village in 1836, was made the county-seat in 1838 and was chartered as a city in 1853.
    0
    0
  • His forces on the Marchfeld were drawn up in front of the bridges facing north, with their left in the village of Aspern (Gross-Aspern) and their right in Essling (or Esslingen).
    0
    0
  • The battle began at Aspern; Hiller carried the village at the first rush, but Massena recaptured it, and held his ground with the same tenacity as he had shown at Genoa in 1800.
    0
    0
  • The three Austrian columns fighting their hardest through the day were unable to capture more than half the village; the rest was still held by Massena when night fell.
    0
    0
  • The township's largest village, also named Natick, lying 18 m.
    0
    0
  • In the village of South Natick is the Bacon Free Library (1880), in which is housed the Historical, Natural History and Library Society.
    0
    0
  • In 1797 Oneida county was established, and the village was incorporated under the name of Utica.
    0
    0
  • In 1803 Hamilton was made the county-seat; in 1810 it was incorporated as a village; in 1854 it annexed the town of Rossville on the opposite side of the river; and in 1857 it was made a city.
    0
    0