Vidame sentence example
- The vidame was originally, like the avoue (advocatus), an official chosen by the bishop of the diocese, with the consent of the count.
- But the causes that changed the character of the advocatus operated also in the case of the vidame.
- With the crystallization of the feudal system in the 12th century the office of vidame, like that of avoue, had become an hereditary fief.
- Thus the vidame de Picquigny was the representative of the bishop of Amiens, the vidame de Gerberoy of the bishop of Beauvais.
- Saisset was on the point of escaping to Rome when the vidame of Amiens surprised him by night in his episcopal palace.Advertisement
- The vidame was originally, like the avoue (advocatus), an official chosen by the bishop of the diocese, with the consent of the count (see Advocate).
- During the Carolingian epoch, indeed, advocatus and vice-dominus were interchangeable terms; and it was only in the 11th century rthat they became generally differentiated: the title of avoue being commonly reserved for nobles charged with the protection of an abbey, that of vidame for those guarding an episcopal see.