Vicar-apostolic sentence example
- The Roman Catholics, at whose head is a vicar-apostolic, numbered 10,419.
- In 1741 Challoner was raised to the episcopal dignity at Hammersmith, and nominated coadjutor with right of succession to Bishop Benjamin Petre, vicar-apostolic of the London district, whom he succeeded in 1758.
- The assiduity with which Huc devoted himself to the study of the dialects and customs of the Tatars, for whom at the cost of much labour he translated various religious works, was an admirable preparation for undertaking in 1844, at the instigation of the vicar apostolic of Mongolia, an expedition whose object was to dissipate the obscurity which hung over the country and habits of the Tibetans.
- In 1840 he was consecrated bishop, and sent to England as coadjutor to Bishop Walsh, vicar-apostolic of the Central district, and was also appointed president of Oscott College near Birmingham.
- Wiseman was appointed temporarily vicar-apostolic of the London district, the appointment becoming permanent in February 1849.Advertisement
- Such as there are are under the authority of a vicar apostolic residing at Keren.
- In 1784 the Rev. John Carroll was appointed prefect-apostolic for the Catholics of the English colonies hitherto dependent on the vicar-apostolic of London.
- In England from 1598 until the appointment of a vicar-apostolic in 1623 the Roman Catholic clergy were placed by the pope under an "archpriest" as superior of the English mission.
- In February 1846 he left Oxford for Oscott, where Bishop Wiseman, then vicar-apostolic of the Midland district, resided; and in October he proceeded to Rome, where he was ordained priest and was given the degree of D.D.
- The former bishop of the Highland vicariate, Ranald MacDonald, became the first vicar-apostolic of the western vicariate.Advertisement
- In Kerk Street, on the outskirts of central Johannesburg, is the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, the headquarters of the vicar apostolic of the Transvaal.
- The former bishop of the Highland vicariate, Ranald MacDonald, became the first vicar-apostolic of the Western vicariate.