Verticils sentence example
- Upon this torus the parts of the flower are arranged in a crowded manner, usually forming a series of verticils, the parts of which alternate; but they are sometimes arranged spirally especially if the floral axis be elongated.
- This suppression when confined to the parts of certain verticils makes the flower asymmetrical.
- Thus, in many Caryophyllaceae, as Polycarpon and Holosteum, while the calyx and corolla are pentamerous, there are only three or four stamens and three carpels; in Impatiens Noli-me-tangere the calyx is composed of three parts, while the other verticils have five; in labiate flowers there are five parts of the calyx and corolla, and only four stamens; and in Tropaeolum pentaphyllum there are five sepals, two petals, eight stamens and three carpels.
- The parts of the several verticils often differ in their mode of aestivation.
- Using Calamites as a generic name for all those Calamarian stems in which the ribs alternate at the nodes, we have, on Weiss's system, the following sub-genera: Stylocalamites, branches rare and irregularly arranged; Calamitina, branches in regular verticils, limited to certain nodes, which surmount specially short internodes; Eucalamites, branches present on every node.Advertisement
- Here, as in the previous genus, sterile and fertile verticils are ranged alternately on the axis of the cone.
- Weiss first showed, immediately below the verticils of bracts, the position thus being the reverse of that in Palaeostachya.