Verticil sentence example
- By the suppression of the verticil of the stamens, or of the carpels, flowers become unisexual or diclinous, and by the suppression of one or both of the floral envelopes, monochlamydeous and achlamydeous flowers are produced.
- - Diagram to illustrate induplicative or induplicate aestivation, in which the parts of the verticil are slightly turned inwards at the edges.
- There is evidence that in some, at least, of the Calamarieae the leaves of each verticil were united at the base to form a sheath.
- The sporangiophores, which are usually half as numerous in each verticil as the bracts, have the same form as in Equisetum, but each bears four sporangia only.
- The upturned tips of the bracts are only shown in every alternate verticil.Advertisement
- The long, slender stems, somewhat tumid at the nodes, were ribbed, the ribs running continuously through the nodes, a fact correlated with the superposition of the whorled leaves, the number of which in each verticil was some multiple of 3, and usually 6.
- The smaller branches bear the whorled leaves, probably four in each verticil.