Verderers sentence example
- The principal village within the forest is Lyndhurst (pop. 2167 in 1901); its church contains a fresco by Lord Leighton, and here is held the verderers' court, which since 1887 has had charge of the crown portion of the forest.
- The chief officer of this, as of other forests, was the justice in eyre who held the justice seat, the highest forest court and the only court of record capable of entering and executing judgments on offenders; the lower courts were the Swainmote and Wodemote, the former of which is still held, in a modified form, in the Verderers' Hall of the King's House at Lyndhurst.
- The lower officers of the forest, who held merely local appointments, were the verderers, the regarders (one of whose duties was that of seeing to the expeditation of "great dogs"), the foresters, the woodwards and the agisters.
- The Ancient Court of Verderers was also revived, consisting of an hereditary lord warden together with four verderers elected by freeholders of the county.
- The court of attachments (called also the wood-mote) is held every forty days for the foresters to bring in their attachments concerning any hurt done to vert or venison (in viridi et venatione) in the forest, and for the verderers to receive and mark the same, but no conviction takes place.Advertisement
- The swainmote, held three times in the year, is the court to which all the freeholders within the forest owe suit and service, and of which the verderers are the judges.
- This is reserved for the justice-seat, held every third year, to which the rolls of offences presented at the court of attachment, and tried at the swainmote, are presented by verderers.
- The necessary officers of a forest are a steward, verderers, foresters, regarders, agisters and woodwards.
- The new byelaws revoke and replace with amendments previous byelaws made by the verderers and the order revokes the orders confirming the revoked byelaws.
- In the meantime the Verderers ' byelaws remain in force and must be observed by all those exercising their rights of common.Advertisement
- The new byelaws revoke and replace with amendments previous byelaws made by the Verderers and the order revokes the orders confirming the revoked byelaws.