Verandahs sentence example
- The level of the roadway is considerably lower than the ground-floors of the houses, which have generally arched rooms in front, with little shops behind them; and above these they are richly embellished with verandahs, galleries, projecting oriel windows, and very broad overhanging eaves supported by carved brackets.
- The houses are red-tiled and raised from the ground, with broad verandahs and overhanging eaves.
- Its houses are generally built of wood, with high roofs and wide verandahs shaded by cocoanut or cabbage palms. The principal buildings are the court house, in the centre of the town, government house, at the southern end, Fort George, towards the north, the British bank of Honduras, the hospital, the Roman Catholic convent, and the Wesleyan church, which is the largest and handsomest of all.
- Wood is the most common material of which the residences are built; a large portion of these residences are one-storey cottages; broad verandahs are common; and of the more pretentious residences the lanai, a semi-outdoor drawing-room with conservatories adjoining, is a notable feature.
- Whilst some vines are valuable for the walls of houses, others may be used for covering arbours, pergolas, the pillars of verandahs, old tree stumps, or sloping banks.Advertisement
- For covering arbours, walls, verandahs, or old tree stumps there is no climber which produces so brilliant an effect in so short a time.