Vatnajokull sentence example
- In the extreme east is Vatnajokull, which is separated from Tungnafellsjokull by Vonarskard (3300 ft.).
- It is highest on the tableland, on the north side of Vatnajokull, and lowest on the north-west peninsula, to the south of North Cape.
- It is on the south side of Vatnajokull that they descend lowest; the lower end of Breidamerkurjokull was in the year 1894 only 30 ft.
- The group of lakes called Fiskiviitn (or Veidivotn), which lie in a desolate region to the west of Vatnajokull, consist for the most part of crater lakes.
- The other and larger tableland, which constitutes the substantial part of Iceland, reaches its culminating point in the south-east, in the gigantic snowfield of Vatnajokull, which covers 3300 sq.Advertisement
- The south coast is flat next the sea; but immediately underneath Vatnajokull there is a strip of gravel and sand, brought down and deposited by the glacial streams. The largest low-lying plain of Iceland, lying between Myrdalsjokull and Reykjanes, has an area of about 1550 sq.