Vasculitides sentence example
- We provide a wide range of services to cover all aspects of general rheumatology including inflammatory joint disorders, connective tissue diseases and vasculitides.
- Vasculitides is the plural of the word vasculitis, which may be used to describe any disorder characterized by inflammation of the blood or lymph vessels.
- The term juvenile vasculitides is sometimes used to refer to a group of disorders that primarily affect children and adolescents.
- The most common childhood vasculitides are Kawasaki syndrome (sometimes called Kawasaki disease) and Henoch-Schönlein purpura.
- The most widely used classification scheme for the vasculitides was first proposed at an international conference in 1994.Advertisement
- Some of the childhood vasculitides affect the skin, producing rashes, ulcers, or reddish-purple spots known as purpura.
- The specific symptoms of the more common childhood vasculitides are described in more detail below.
- Some of the childhood vasculitides may be preceded and possibly triggered by infectious diseases.
- Most vasculitides are relatively rare disorders; one source estimates that about 100,000 persons (including adults as well as children and adolescents) are hospitalized each year in the United States for treatment of vasculitis.
- Although this number is small compared to the number of those treated for cancer or diabetes, the vasculitides can nonetheless have a significant financial and emotional impact on the families of children diagnosed with them.Advertisement
- It is, however, one of the most serious vasculitides.
- There is no single disease process that underlies all the childhood vasculitides.
- As with other childhood vasculitides, various disease organisms (including fungi as well as bacteria or viruses) have been suggested as the cause, but none have been definitely identified.
- The early symptoms of the childhood vasculitides are often difficult to distinguish from those of other illnesses.
- To begin with, many of the early symptoms of the childhood vasculitides are not specific to these disorders and may have a wide range of other possible causes.Advertisement
- Another factor that complicates diagnosis is that the various childhood vasculitides have overlapping symptom profiles.
- The doctor may also order skin, muscle, lung, or sinus biopsies in order to distinguish among the various childhood vasculitides.
- The prognoses for the childhood vasculitides vary widely depending on the disease and the extent of organ involvement.