Variorum sentence example
- In appearance and careful editing it leaves nothing to desire, containing the entire works, a lexicon, full bibliographical information, and an album of illustrations of the poet's places of residence, his arms, some title-pages of his plays, facsimiles of his writings, &c. Nothing is wanting but variorum comments, which Lefevre's edition supplies.
- The work was discovered by Poggio, who copied the original manuscript Editio princeps (books 14-26) by Sabinus, 1474; completed by Accursius, 1533; with variorum notes, by Wagner-Erfurdt, 1808; latest edition of text, Gardthausen, 1874-1815.
- Ball's The Variorum Apocrypha will be found specially useful by those who cannot conveniently consult the Greek.
- We may find determinate modes of interpretation in the eighteenth-century variorum, if we are not distracted by our modern predisposition to indeterminacy.
- Such a view of the possibilities or realities of the variorum edition has not however been universal.Advertisement
- Gondris reads the variorum page, she here appears to acknowledge, impressionistically.