Variable-stars sentence example
- The absence of colour changes in variable stars or in the appearance of new stars is further evidence of the same fact.
- Stars whose brightness fluctuates are called variable stars.
- In both cases the rise to a maximum is more rapid than the decline to a minimum, and in fact some of the minor peculiarities of the sunspot curve are closely imitated by the light-curves of variable stars.
- On the other hand, the variations in the light of the sun must be very small compared with the enormous fluctuations in the light of variable stars.
- Moreover, the solar period (II years) is far outside the limits of the periods of 1 Variable stars (except those sufficiently bright to have received special names) are denoted by the capital letters R to Z followed by the name of the constellation.Advertisement
- These systems appear as a connecting link between short-period variable stars on the one hand and telescopic double stars on the other.
- The instrumental equipment of that observatory was somewhat antiquated, his largest telescope being a small refractor of 73 lines aperture, but he selected a line of work to suit the instruments at his disposal, observing nebulae and variable stars and keeping a watch on comets and new planets.
- The progress of this survey was marked by a number of important discoveries of " new " and variable stars and of spectroscopic binaries, mainly through the acumen of Mrs Williamina Paton Fleming of Harvard College in scrutinizing the negatives forming the data for the great catalogue.