Vallum sentence example
- The meaning of the vallum is much more doubtful.
- Early borrowings like wine (Latin vinum), wall (Latin vallum), retain the w sound and are therefore spelt with w.
- Secondly, there is the so-called " Vallum," in reality no vallum at all, but a broad flat-bottomed ditch out of which the earth has been cast up on either side into g Bremen (Rochester) ijffabilasrciu.n
- When the barrow was of earth, this was effected by an encircling trench or a low vallum.
- In later times the mound itself was frequently dispensed with, and the interments made within the enclosure of a trench, a vallum or a circle of standing stones.Advertisement
- A double fosse and vallum, with the outer and inner court lines, can be traced.