Vagus-nerve sentence example
- The terminals of the vagus nerve are also stimulated, causing the heart to beat more slowly.
- Professor Schafer recommended the use of atropine prior to the administration of a general anaesthetic, in cases where the action of the vagus nerve upon the heart is to be dreaded; and there is little doubt of the value of this precaution, which has no attendant disadvantages, in all such cases.
- The nature of this is not very easy to analyse, but as mental depression is closely associated with irritation of the vagus nerve and weakening of the circulation, it seems not at all unlikely that mountain air acts by accelerating the pulse and quickening the circulation, and thus creating a sense of well-being.
- The vagus nerve is used to slow down the heart.
- He also has a vagus nerve stimulator implant that he thought might be affected by any radiation from a computer.Advertisement
- From the vagus nerve the signals travel up into the areas of the brain thought to be involved in causing seizures.
- The cost of vagus nerve stimulation is about £ 105 75 per person per year.
- In a pallid BHS the brain sends a signal via the vagus nerve that severely slows the heart rate, leading to a temporary cessation of breathing and loss of consciousness.
- If medication is not successful in preventing seizures, surgery, a ketogenic diet, or vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) may be tried.
- The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) in patients over the age of 16 who have intractable partial seizures.Advertisement
- This non-surgical procedure uses a pacemaker-like device implanted under the skin in the upper left chest, to provide intermittent stimulation to the vagus nerve.
- Stretching from the side of the neck into the brain, the vagus nerve affects swallowing, speech, breathing.