Vacua sentence example
- Many other devices have been introduced for facilitating the production of vacua.
- For the production of high vacua, see Vacuum Tube; Liquid Gases.
- Crookes, who had found that some delicate weighings in vacua were vitiated by this cause.
- Hittorf examined the phenomena exhibited in so-called high vacua, that is, in exceedingly rarefied gases.
- The invention of the barometer and Torricelli's explanation of the vacuity above the mercury column placed before the members of the Florentine academy a ready method of obtaining vacua; for to exhaust a vessel it was only necessary to join, by means of a tube provided with stopcocks, the vessel to a barometer tube, fill the compound vessel with mercury and then to invert it in a basin containing this liquid, whereupon the mercury column fell, leaving a Torricellian vacuum in the vessel, which could be removed after shutting off the stop-cocks.Advertisement
- Later he investigated the gas-absorbing powers of charcoal when cooled to low temperatures, and applied them to the production of high vacua and to gas analysis (see Liquid Gases).