It lies in the central plain of Yorkshire, on the river Ure near its confluence with the Swale.
The small river Bain, joining the Ure near Askrigg, forms a pretty lake called Semerer or Semmer Water, 4 m.
The brewers and distillers, such as M ` Ewan, Usher and Ure, have been amongst the most generous benefactors of the city.
A and B, mycelium (m), the mix t ure over the affe c ted with haustoria (h).
Eornustlice gebiddao eow ous; Faeder ure fu fe eart on heofonum; si fain nama gehalgod (to) to-becume f,in rice; gewurf)e oin Willa on eor6an swa swa on heofonum.
It is pleasantly situated at the confluence of the streams Laver and Skell with the river Ure, which is crossed by a fine bridge of nine arches.
This new power not only from the east but from the a ure, south.
Ure, ore, house, mod.
When the site of the Great North Road was altered, towards the end of the 11th century, a bridge was built across the Ure, about half a mile above the Roman bridge at Aldborough, and called Burgh bridge or Ponteburgem.
WENSLEYDALE, the name given to the upper part of the valley of the river Ure in the North Riding, Yorkshire, England.
The Ure rises near the border of Yorkshire and Westmorland, in the uplands of the Pennine Chain.
(t t) urne gedaghwamlican hlaf syle us to daeg, (12) 7 forgyf us ure gyltas swa swa we forgyfao urum gyltendum.
Long from the source of the Swale or Ure) and the Trent (170 m.), qq.v.
It is alluded to in various statutes of the reign of Henry VIII., who obtained power to appoint a commission to examine the old ecclesiastical laws, with a view of deciding which ought to be kept and which ought to be abolished; and in the meantime it was enacted that "such canons, institutions, ordinances, synodal or provincial or other ecclesiastical laws or jurisdictions spiritual as be yet accustomed and used here in the Church of England, which necessarily and conveniently are requisite to be put in ure and execution for the time, not being repugnant, contrarient, or derogatory to the laws or statutes of the realm, nor to the prerogatives of the royal crown of the same, or any of them, shall be occupied, exercised, and put in ure for the time with this realm" (35 Henry Viii.
In 1830 he succeeded Dr Andrew Ure (1778-1857) as professor of chemistry in the Andersonian Institution, and in 1837, on the death of Dr Edward Turner, he was transferred to the chair of chemistry in University College, London.