Urban district Sentence Examples
The town is governed by an urban district council.
In the immediate neighbourhood of Chesterfield on the west is the urban district of Brampton and Waltcn (pop. 2698), to the south-east is Hasland (7427), and to the north-east Brimington (4569).
The corporation was replaced by two constables chosen annually in the court leet of the manor until 1894, when an urban district council was appointed.
Burnham is an urban district with a population (1901) of 3245.
A castle in the town, of the 15th century, is restored to use as offices for the urban district council.Advertisement
Pop. of urban district (Igo') 3495 It is pleasantly situated in the rich valley of the small river Otter.
This industrial centre is continued eastward in the urban district of East Ham (pop. 96,018), where the old village church of St Mary Magdalene retains Norman portions.
Nearly two miles inland to the north-west is Madron (an urban district with a population of 3486).
Three miles north-east is the urban district of Ludgvan (pop. 2274), and to the south is Paul (6332), which includes the village of Newlyn.
On the south bank of the river is the township and urban district of Cowpen (pop. 17,879), with collieries and glass works; coal is shipped from this point by river.Advertisement
It is an urban district together with contiguous rural territory.
Esher is included in the urban district of Esher and The Dittons, of which Thames Ditton is a favourite riverside resort.
Together with the town of Windermere it forms an urban district (pop. 5061 in 1901), but the two towns were separate until 1gos.
To the north lies the urban district of Southborough (pop. 6977).
It consists principally of one long street (the Roman Watling Street) and the northern suburb of Milton, a separate urban district (pop. 7086), celebrated for its oysters, the fishery of which used to employ a large number of the inhabitants.Advertisement
The church of St John the Baptist, principally Perpendicular, - has in its tower three bells presented by Charles Both this town and the adjacent urban district of Radstock (pop. 3355) have a considerable trade in coal, which is mined in the vicinity.
It is governed by an urban district council.
A neighbouring centre of the serge industry is the urban district of Buckfastleigh (pop. 2520), 3 m.
Midleton is governed by an urban district council.
Across the Ouzel in Buckinghamshire, where Leighton railway station is situated, is the urban district of Linslade (pop. 2157).Advertisement
The village (pop. of urban district in 1901, 781) lies near the head of the lake, on the small river Rothay and the Keswick-Ambleside road, 122 m.
The urban district of Barry, with a population in 1901 of 27,030, comprises the ecclesiastical parishes of Barry, Cadoxton, Merthyr-Dovan, and a portion of Sully in which is included Barry Island (194 acres), now, however, joined to the mainland.
Skibbereen is governed by an urban district council.
The older part of the urban district is included in the parliamentary borough of Merthyr Tydfil, and also shares with Merthyr and Aberdare the services of a stipendiary magistrate.
The urban district (formed in 1893) is conterminous with the civil parish of Newton Nottage, which, in addition to Porthcawl proper, built on the sea-front, comprises the ancient village of Nottage, 1 m.Advertisement
The town, which is governed by an urban district council, is a centre for visitors to the county.
This form of government continued until 1851, when a local board was formed, which in 1894 was superseded by an urban district council.
The urban district formerly included Wood Green to the west, but this became a separate urban district in 1888 (pop. 34,233).
The urban district has an area of 7633 acres, and includes the small industrial colonies near some of the most important mines in Cornwall.
It is governed by a mayor and corporation, which, though retained under the Local Government (Ireland) Act of 1898, has practically the status of an urban district council.
The administration is in the hands of an urban district council.
An urban district council was formed in 1900.
Pop. of urban district (1901) 3599 It is intersected by the river Barrow, which is here crossed by a bridge of five arches.
Pop. of urban district (1901), 4544 The town is only of importance from its antiquarian interest and the magnificent ruins of its old castle.
The governing body consisted of a high steward, deputy steward, two water-bailiffs and 28 burgesses, but the cdrporation was abolished by the Municipal Corporation Act of 1883, and a Local Board was formed, which, under the Local Government Act, gave place in 1894 to an urban district council.
Area 5082 acres, including the former urban district of Pemberton (pop. 21, 664 in 1901), which was included with Wigan in 1904.
Thurles is governed by an urban district council.
A part of the town is in Suffolk, and the urban district is in the administrative county of West Suffolk.
Provision is made for the control of main roads in urban districts being retained by the urban district council.
The things referred to include the alteration of the boundary of the district or parish; the division or union thereof with any other district or districts, parish or parishes; the conversion of a rural district or part thereof into an urban district or vice versa.
A county council may delegate, by arrangement, to the council of any borough or urban district in the county their powers in respect of the act.
But in every case the council of the borough have the powers and duties of an urban district council, and, except where they derive their authority from local acts, it may be said that their principal powers and duties consist of those which they exercise or perform as an urban council.
Before the year 1894 the rural district consisted of the area of the poor-law union, exclusive of any urban district which might be within it, and the guardians of the poor were the rural sanitary authority.
It has been thought convenient to deal here with district councils, whether urban or rural, together, but the powers of the former are much more extensive than those of the latter, and Powers of as the consideration of the subject proceeds it will be necessary to indicate what powers and duties are con- rural ferred or imposed upon urban district councils only.
The necessity for this provision arises because it sometimes happens that in a district otherwise rural there are some centres of population, hardly large enough to be constituted urban districts, which nevertheless require the same control as an urban district.
If the urban district is a borough, the town clerk and borough treasurer fulfil the same office for purposes of the Public Health Acts.
And it must be borne in mind that in a borough the borough council is the urban district council.
In the case of new houses, these may not be built or occupied in an urban district without their being first provided with sufficient drains as the council may require; and in an urban district it is forbidden to cause any building to be newly erected over a sewer without the consent of the council.
It is to be observed that they are not bound to charge for a supply of water at all, unless they are required to do so in an urban district by at least ten persons, rated to the poor rate, or in a parish in a rural district by at least five persons so rated in the parish.
Even then the amount of the rate is left to the council, any deficiency in the cost of the water, in so far as it is not defrayed out of water rates or rents, being borne in an urban district by the general district rate, and in a rural district by the separate sanitary rates made for the parish or contributory place supplied.
It is forbidden to establish within an urban district without the consent of the council any offensive trade, business or manufacture.
With regard to any offensive trade which has been established or may be consented to in any urban district, if it is verified by the medical officer or any two legally qualified medical practitioners, or by any ten inhabitants of the district, to be a nuisance or injurious to health, the urban district council are required to take proceedings before magistrates with a view to the abatement of the nuisance complained of.
The distinction between a burial ground provided under the Burial Acts and a cemetery provided under the act of 1879 is important in many ways, of which one only need be mentioned here - the expenses under the Burial Acts are paid out of the poor rate, while the expenses under the act of 1879 are paid in an urban district out of the general district rate, the incidence of which differs materially from that of the poor rate, as will be seen hereafter.
In an urban district the urban council have always had all the powers and duties of a surveyor of highways under the Highway highways Acts.
But while rural as well as urban district councils have the powers and duties of surveyors of highways, the provisions of the Public Health Acts relating to streets apply only in urban districts, except in so far as the Local Government Board may by order have conferred urban powers upon a rural district council.
Where a house or building in a street is taken down to be rebuilt, the urban district council may prescribe the line to which it is to be rebuilt, paying compensation to the building owner for any damage which he may sustain consequent upon the requirement.
But under an act of 1888 it is provided that it shall not be lawful in any urban district without the consent of the urban authority to erect or bring forward any house or building in any street or any part of such house or building beyond the front main wall of the house or building on either side thereof in the same street.
The control exercised by an urban district council over streets and buildings is to a very large extent exercised through by-laws which they are empowered to make for various purposes relating to the laying out and formation of new streets, the erection and construction of new buildings, the provision of sufficient air-space about buildings to secure a free circulation of air, and the provision of suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences.
As a general rule, all the expenses of carrying into execution the Public Health Acts in an urban district fall upon a fund which is called the general district fund, and that fund is provided by means of a rate called the general district rate.
First, in the case of boroughs where from the time of the first adoption of the Sanitary Acts these expenses have been paid out of the borough rate, the expenses continue to be so paid; and in an urban district which was formerly subject to an Improvement Act, the expenses may be payable out of the improvement rate authorized by that act.
The expenses of highways in an urban district fall as a rule upon the general district rate, but under certain conditions, which need not be here set out, a separate highway rate may have to be levied.
Under the first an urban district council may, by means of a scheme, acquire, working .
The second part of the act deals with unhealthy dwellinghouses, and requires the urban district council to take steps for the closing of any dwelling-houses within their district which are unfit for human habitation.
This part of the act may be adopted by a rural district council, but an urban district council can carry it into execution without formal adoption.
The urban district council may adopt the provisions of the Baths Baths and and Washhouses Acts, and thereunder provide public wash= baths, wash-houses, open bathing-places, covered swim.
Under the Tramways Act 1870 the urban district council may obtain from the Board of Trade a provisional order authorizing the construction of tramways in their district by themselves.
Under the Borough Funds Act 1872 the urban district council may, if in their judgment it is expedient, promote or oppose any local and personal bill or bills in parliament, or may Bills In prosecute or defend any legal proceedings necessary for the promotion or protection of the interests of the district, Parlla- and may charge the costs incurred in so doing to the w ent and rates under their control.
The urban district council execute the Public Libraries Acts for their district, and the rate for the expenses of the acts, which may not exceed td.
They remain, however, the rating authority so far as regards the poor rate and nearly all other rates, the exceptions being the general district rate in an urban district and the borough rate in a borough, made by the town council.
If the area under a burial board in 1894 was partly in a rural parish and partly in an urban district, the burial board was superseded, and the powers of the board are exercised bya joint committeeappointed partly by the urban district council and partly by the parish council, or parish meeting, as the case may be.
It may be convenient here to add that where, under the Local Government Act 1894, the powers of a parish council are not already possessed by an urban district council, the Local Government Board may by order confer such powers on the urban council.
It will be seen that the scheme, as at present existing, has for its object the simplification of local government by the abolition of unnecessary independent authorities, and that this has been carried out almost completely, the principal exception being that in some cases burial boards still exist which have not been superseded either by urban district councils or by parish councils or parish meetings.
Newlyn ward in the urban district of Paul (pop. 6332) had in 1901 a population of 3749.
Similar industries, with brick-making, are practised at Darlaston, an urban district (pop. 15,395), within the parliamentary borough.
Pop. of urban district (including the township of Coatham, 1901) 7695.
With West Kirby to the south, at the mouth of the estuary of the Dee, it forms the urban district of Hoylake and West Kirby.
The urban district includes the townships of Upper Swinford and Wollaston.
The urban district includes what were once the separate villages of Aberaman, Abernant, Cwmbach, Cwmaman, Cwmdare, Llwydcoed and Trecynon.
Pop. of urban district of Barking town (1891) 14,301; (1901) 21,547.
The urban district of New Ross includes Rosbercon, on the opposite side of the Barrow.
The urban district was extended in 1898 to include portions of the scattered villages of Hailey and Curbridge.
The town was governed by a local board from 1866 until the establishment of an urban district council in 1894; the urban district was then made conterminous with the civil parish, and in 1898 it was re-named Builth Wells.
The phoenix represents the new Boro rising from the ashes of the old Urban District.
Heavitree Urban District Council opened the Pleasure Ground in 1906, " to clear rowdy youths " from Fore Street in the evenings.