Uranate sentence example
- The precipitate, after having been collected and washed, is digested with a warm concentrated solution of ammonium carbonate, which dissolves the uranium as a yellow solution of ammonium uranate, while the hydrated oxide of iron, the alumina, &c., remain.
- These are filtered off hot, and the filtrate is allowed to cool, when crystals of the uranate separate out.
- The filtrate, on being boiled down, yields a second crop of uranate.
- This uranate when ignited in a platinum crucible leaves a green oxide of the composition U308, i.e.
- Sodium uranate, Na2U207, is used as a pigment for painting on glass and porcelain under the name of uranium yellow.Advertisement
- It is manufactured by heating pitchblende with lime, treating the resulting calcium uranate with dilute sulphuric acid, and adding sodium carbonate in excess.
- Ammonium uranate heated to redness yields pure U308, which serves as a raw material for uranium compounds.
- Solutions of uranyl salts (nitrate, &c.) behave to reagents as follows: sulphuretted hydrogen produces green uranous salt with precipitation of sulphur; sulphide of ammonium in neutral solutions gives a black precipitate of UO 2 S, which settles slowly and, while being washed in the filter, breaks up partially into hydrated UO 2 an sulphur; ammonia gives a yellow precipitate of uranate of ammonia, characteristically soluble in hot carbonate of ammonia solution; prussiate of potash gives a brown precipitate which in appearance is not unlike the precipitate produced by the same reagent in cupric salts.