Uprisings sentence example
- The War of Independence was succeeded by a series of Indian uprisings.
- Six out of sixteen governors or deputy-governors were driven from office between 1674 and 1712, and there were two uprisings which have been deemed worthy of the term rebellion.
- But even more pressing than the call of the nation was the need of defending her own homes against the uprisings of the Indians within her borders.
- Even if there had been motives for uprisings of artisans such as took place in Germany and the Netherlands, the English kings would probably have intervened.
- True, there were popular uprisings in England, but they were usually conflicts between the poor and the rich; the crafts as such seldom took part in these tumults.Advertisement
- He also vigorously suppressed Indian uprisings in 1655, 1658 and 1663.
- Hook uprisings took place at Leiden and Dordrecht and had to be repressed by armed force.
- The revolt of the Spanish people that follow-ed was the first of the national uprisings against his rule by which Napoleon was destined to be overthrown.
- An anonymous pamphlet of 1792 which plays on British fears of the popular uprisings in France to link slave trade abolitionists with French Jacobins.
- ghetto uprisings in 1968.Advertisement
- instigate uprisings against the Taliban fell on fallow ground.
- The photographs range from the Montgomery bus boycott in 1955 to the ghetto uprisings in 1968.
- In order to obstruct and embarrass the Republican administration the members of the order held peace meetings to influence public opinion against the continuance of the war; purchased arms to be used in uprisings, which were to place the peace party in control of the Federal government, or failing in that to establish a north-western confederacy; and took measures to set free the Confederate prisoners in the north and bring the war to a forced close.
- Although it was not the centre of operations, the south of the territory suffered considerably in the various uprisings under Spotted Tail, Red Cloud and Sitting Bull in 1863-65, 1867, and 1875-76 (see North Dakota and Custer, George Armstrong).
- Divers have also been used to survey water uprisings from the seafloor in the areas off the Dounreay foreshore.Advertisement