Upper-chamber sentence example
- In 1871 he retired, and in 1881 was nominated a life member of the Upper Chamber (Herrenhaus).
- From 1875 to 1883 he sat in the Upper Chamber of the Baden Diet.
- The upper chamber is composed of all the princes of the reigning family who are of full age; the chiefs of the mediatized families; the archbishop of Freiburg; the president -of the Protestant Evangelical church; a deputy from each of the universities and from the technical high school, eight members elected by the territorial nobility for four years, three representatives of the chamber of commerce, two of that of agriculture, one of that of trades, two mayors of municipalities, one burgomaster of lesser towns, one member of a district council, and eight members (two of them legal functionaries) nominated by the grand-duke.
- II may safely be taken to assign not only a free and informal but also a didactic character to the apostle Paul's discourse in the upper chamber of Troas, when "he talked a long while, even till break of day."
- In the centre of the town is a picturesque half-timbered market cross (16x6), with an octagonal upper chamber raised on massive pillars of wood.Advertisement
- The flax is placed in the upper chamber and covered by two sets of rods or beams at right angles to each other.
- As the tank fills, the water enters the upper chamber and carries with it the flax and the beams, the latter being prevented from rising too high.
- 7, 8), that on the occasion of St Paul's preaching at Alexandria in Troas " there were many lights in the upper chamber "; but this was at night, and the most that can be hazarded is that a specially large number were lighted as a festive illumination, as in modern Church festivals (Martigny, Dict.
- The door of the House of Lords was thus thrown open, and in 1885 Baron Nathan Mayea Rothschild, raised to the peerage, was enabled to take his seat in the upper chamber.
- The upper chamber (Standesherren) is composed of adult princes of the blood, heads of noble families from the rank of count (Graf) upwards, representatives of territories (Standesherrschaften), which possessed votes in the old German imperial diet or in the local diet; it has also members (not more than 6) nominated by the king, 8 members of knightly rank, 6 ecclesiastical dignitaries, a representative of the university of Tubingen, and of the technical high school of Stuttgart, 2 representatives of commerce and industry, 2 of agriculture, and i of handicrafts.Advertisement
- She professed her keenness " to remove the elitism of the names used in the Upper Chamber " .
- Atrial fibrillation-A type of heart arrhythmia in which the upper chamber of the heart quivers instead of pumping in an organized way.