Unwritten law sentence example
- General Grant had served two terms (1869-1877), and the unwritten law of custom condemned his being given another.
- If there was thus only a customary and unwritten law (and William of Tyre definitely speaks of a jus consuetudinarium under Baldwin III., quo regnum regebatur), then the "Letters of the Sepulchre" are a myth - or rather, if they ever existed, they existed not as a code of written law, but, perhaps, as a register of fiefs, like the Sicilian Defetarii.
- By them a written law has been substituted for that unwritten law which nations had been wont to construe with a latitude more or less corresponding to their power.
- All of them recognize a common code or unwritten law called Pukhtunwali, which appears to be similar in general character to the old Hebraic law, though modified by Mahommedan ordinances, and strangely similar in certain particulars to Rajput custom.
- Justice.By the theory of a Mahommedan state there should be no other courts of justice except those established for the administration of the shar, the divine or written law, but in Persia there is another judicature, which is called urf and represents the customary or known and unwritten law.Advertisement
- The chief motive for his journey was love of travel and antiquarian study, and it seems never to have occurred to him, till he was warned by Tiberius, that he was thereby transgressing an unwritten law which forbade any Roman of rank to set foot in Egypt without express permission.
- For the content of morality we are necessarily referred, in great part, to the experience crystallized in laws and institutions and to the unwritten law of custom, honour and good breeding, which has become organic in the society of which we are members.
- This unwritten law in some districts is supreme."
- More than ever was Boris resolved to serve in future not according to the written code, but under this unwritten law.
- While you're flying down the rainy streets at breakneck speed, you can bob your head to Mudvayne, Queens of the Stone Age, and Unwritten Law.Advertisement