Unpromising sentence example
- After an unpromising beginning and parliamentary threats to revoke its charter, the company became hugely profitable.
- In this work Sir Evelyn Wood had shown much sound judgment as well as great capacity for military organization, and had formed an efficient force out of very unpromising material (see the section above on the Egyptian Army).
- On the other hand, it is generally the case that even in the most unpromising inn the bedding is clean.
- It is unnecessary to follow out the history of these somewhat unpromising attempts.
- The beginning of his reign was not unpromising; but all too soon that nepotism began which attained its height under this Spanish pope, and dominated his whole pontificate.Advertisement
- Its total membership is under ioo,000, and it has some 350 missionaries, labouring in the most unpromising fields - Greenland, Labrador, Alaska, Central America, Tibet, and among the Hottentots.
- At first, they were more sanguine of extracting from these unpromising beginnings some knowledge of things beyond ideas.
- (The cove was largely filled in as early as 1851.) The site of the city is very different from that of most American towns, and seemed a most unpromising location.
- The diocese of New Jersey was an unpromising field, but he took up his work there with characteristic vigour, especially in the foundation of St Mary's Hall (1837, for girls) and Burlington College (1846) as demonstrations of his theory of education under church control.
- Marius, out of unpromising materials and a demoralized soldiery, organized a well-disciplined army, with which he inflicted on the invaders two decisive defeats, the first in 102 at Aquae Sextiae (Aix), 1 8 m.Advertisement