Unlooked-for sentence example
- The terrible conditions obtaining there were due to the lack of food supplies in the Confederate States, the incompetence of the prison officials, and the refusal of the Federal authorities in 1864 to make exchanges of prisoners, thus filling the stockade with unlooked-for numbers.
- At this period an exact knowledge of the depths of the ocean off after the beginning of the south-west monsoon to a minimum assumed an unlooked-for practical importance from the daring in August, the total range being 92 in.
- The three ensuing years were especially favourable for the Reformation, as during that time the king had unlooked-for opportunities for filling the vacant episcopal sees with men after his own heart, and at heart he was a Lutheran.
- But an unlooked-for fresh opportunity was afforded by the discovery in 1898 of the singularly circumstanced minor planet Eros, which occasionally approaches the earth more nearly than any other heavenly body except the moon.
- A singular and unlooked-for result of eclipse-work has been to include the corona within the scope of solar periodicity.Advertisement
- The process of hiving a swarm is very simple D and need not occupy many moments of time under ordinary conditions, but so many unlooked-for contingencies may arise that the apiarist would do well to prepare himself beforehand by carefully reading the directions in his text-book.
- Awareness of radical disjunction sometimes surfaces spontaneously and unlooked for.
- Lung Chu was much elated by this unlooked-for success, and exclaiming: " I felt sure that Han Hsin was really a coward!
- It [signaled] instead the uneven and unlooked-for terrains of colonial modernity itself (p. 99 ).
- unlooked-for consequence, turned on the refitting of condemned ships.Advertisement
- Our last dispute, which had a most unlooked-for consequence, turned on the refitting of condemned ships.