Universal service sentence example
- But in 1908, owing to the prevailing want of trained soldiers in France, it was proposed to set free the white troops in Algeria by applying the principles of universal service to the natives, as in Tunis.
- The non-commissioned officers are, as usual in universal service armies, drawn partly from men who voluntarily enlist at a relatively early age, and partly from men who at the end of their compulsory period of service are re-engaged.
- Thus in Italy the universal service system, though probably the best organization both for the army and the nation, works with a maximum of friction.
- Like almost all Universal Service countries, Italy only drafts a small proportion of the available recruits into the army.
- In consequence, far from applying the " universal service " principle to its full extent, they trained only onefifth of the annual contingent of men found fit for service.Advertisement
- The home defence system of Holland is a militia with strong cadres based on universal service.
- Increased prosperity, a still greater increase in population and the social and economic disturbances incidental to the conversion of an agricultural into a manufacturing community, led to the practical abandonment of the principle of universal service.
- A universal service remains the basis of our approach but ensuring universality requires an acknowledgment that every family is different.