Unchristian sentence example
- Their first and most notable victim was Philip, the saintly metropolitan of Moscow, who was strangled for condemning the oprichina as an unchristian institution, and refusing to bless the tsar (1569).
- The older Protestantism uncompromisingly judged the monastic ideal and life to be both unchristian and unnatural, an absolute perversion deserving nothing but condemnation.
- I know it's unchristian, but I'm relieved Burgess is gone.
- Cases of discipline are now comparatively rare, and, when they do occur, are not characterized by the bigoted severity which prevailed in former times and was rightly denounced as unchristian.
- Here Clement argues that wealth, if rightly used, is not unchristian.Advertisement
- For the most part this is founded on Dutch models, and testifies in a high degree to the king's progressive aims. Provision was made for the better education of the lower, and the restriction of the political influence of the higher clergy; there were stern prohibitions against wreckers and "the evil and unchristian practice of selling peasants as if they were brute beasts"; the old trade gilds were retained, but the rules of admittance thereto made easier, and trade combinations of the richer burghers, to the detriment of the smaller tradesmen, were sternly forbidden.
- Finding one day a challenge-glove stuck up on the door of a church where he was to preach, he took it down with his own hand, and proceeded to the pulpit to inveigh against the unchristian custom.
- Working in comedy, a very unchristian environment, it was impossible to tell someone that I was going through a religious trauma.
- There are decidedly unchristian aspects such as reincarnation (of the elves) and the ancestor worship many of the characters indulge in.
- Secondly, an unhealthy dualism that exalts " spirituality " over concrete action and practice is not only profoundly unchristian, but also dangerous.Advertisement
- More than one would have seemed lacking in taste, unwholesome, even unchristian (tho there were several WC's ).
- Capitalism, in his teachings, was not unchristian, but could be used for the glorification of God.
- He was charged with "depraving the public worship of God contained in the liturgy of the Church of England, asserting the same to be superstitious and unchristian, preaching, writing and conversing against the creeds and the divinity of our Saviour, and assuming to himself the power of making arbitrary alterations in his performance of the public worship."
- To him the peasants' attempt to abolish serfdom was wholly unchristian, since it was a divinely sanctioned institution, and if they succeeded they would " make God a liar."
- His best response to the unchristian attitude of most churchy Christians is to live a Christ-like life.Advertisement
- But the thought that he might have been deliberately trying to make me do unchristian things was upsetting.
- Working in comedy, a very unChristian environment, it was impossible to tell someone that I was going through a religious trauma.
- More than one would have seemed lacking in taste, unwholesome, even unchristian (tho there were several WC 's).