Uncanonical sentence example
- While merely a prior of Bec he led the opposition to the uncanonical marriage of Duke William with Matilda of Flanders (1053) and carried matters so far that he incurred a sentence of exile.
- This work is found also in Armenian, and has been published by the Mechitharist community in Venice in their Collection of Uncanonical Writings of the Old Testament, and translated by Conybeare (Jewish Quarterly Review, vii.
- (vi.) Armenian books on the Death of Adam (Uncanonical Writings of O.T.
- New Testament Apocryphal Literature: (a) Gospels: - Uncanonical sayings of the Lord in Christian and Jewish writings.
- Uncanonical Sayings of the Lord Christian and Jewish Sources.Advertisement
- Of the rest the uncanonical sayings have been collected by Preuschen (Reste der ausserkanonischen Evangelien, 1901, pp. 44-47) A different collection will be found in Hennecke, NTliche Apok.
- See Vassiliev's Anecdota GraecoByzantina (Moscow, 1893), pp. 3 8 -44; Uncanonical Books of the Old Testament (Venice, 1901), pp. 237 sqq., 387 sqq.
- (1) Some suppose that they are excerpts from an uncanonical Gospel.
- The decrees of councils would have no binding force "without the authority and consent of the apostolic see": appeals might be made to Rome against the decisions even of the patriarch of Constantinople: all bishops, including the patriarchs, if guilty of heresy or uncanonical proceedings, were subject to correction by the pope.
- declared it uncanonical), we might interpret the good things which are in it" (Schechter, J.Q.Advertisement
- B, Ecclesiasticus comes between Wisdom and Esther, no distinction being drawn between canonical and uncanonical.
- at once took the hint; in September Archbishop Langton was sq,spended for disobedience to papal commands, and the charter was declared uncanonical, null and void.
- Clothed in a plain black gown, he assisted at Parker's consecration, in spite of the facts that he had himself been deprived, and did not resume his bishopric, and that his original appointment had been by the uncanonical method of letters patent.
- In the first place the lay authorities often rendered elections uncanonical by interfering in behalf of some favourite, thereby impairing the freedom of the electors.
- of Leon, but the marriage was declared uncanonical by the pope.Advertisement
- by pleading that his detested third wife was the sister of his first and consequently the union was uncanonical.
- But since healso declared the Consti tutions of Clarendon uncanonical and invalid, Henry was equally offended, and opened negotiations with the emperor and the antipope.
- Since gay relationships are typically few and far between in source material, these are almost always uncanonical.