Uncanonical sentence example
- While merely a prior of Bec he led the opposition to the uncanonical marriage of Duke William with Matilda of Flanders (1053) and carried matters so far that he incurred a sentence of exile.
- Of the rest the uncanonical sayings have been collected by Preuschen (Reste der ausserkanonischen Evangelien, 1901, pp. 44-47) A different collection will be found in Hennecke, NTliche Apok.
- The decrees of councils would have no binding force "without the authority and consent of the apostolic see": appeals might be made to Rome against the decisions even of the patriarch of Constantinople: all bishops, including the patriarchs, if guilty of heresy or uncanonical proceedings, were subject to correction by the pope.
- B, Ecclesiasticus comes between Wisdom and Esther, no distinction being drawn between canonical and uncanonical.
- Clothed in a plain black gown, he assisted at Parker's consecration, in spite of the facts that he had himself been deprived, and did not resume his bishopric, and that his original appointment had been by the uncanonical method of letters patent.Advertisement
- In the first place the lay authorities often rendered elections uncanonical by interfering in behalf of some favourite, thereby impairing the freedom of the electors.
- But since healso declared the Consti tutions of Clarendon uncanonical and invalid, Henry was equally offended, and opened negotiations with the emperor and the antipope.
- Since gay relationships are typically few and far between in source material, these are almost always uncanonical.