Unburied sentence example
- Especially feared among many peoples are the souls of those who have committed suicide or died a violent death; the woman who dies in childbed is held to become a demon of the most dangerous kind; even the unburied, as restless, dissatisfied spirits, are more feared than ordinary ghosts.
- Their bodies lay for nine days unburied, for Zeus had changed the people to stone; on the tenth day they were buried by the gods.
- He went back to Sicily, warred with Carthage on his own account, and brought back the bones of the unburied Syracusans from Himera, but was still so dreaded that the people banished Diodes without restoring him.
- For the lemures were, like our unlaid ghosts, unburied, mischievous or inimical spirits, and these three days were nefasti or unlucky, because their malign influence was abroad..
- This is pure Norman work, and there is a crypt of that period beneath, which was formerly filled with unburied bones.Advertisement
- Thousands of unburied corpses filled the streets, and in all 40,000 to 60,000 persons were carried off.
- In the following year he marched against Arminius, the conqueror of Varus, and performed the last rites over the remains of the Roman soldiers that still lay there unburied, erecting a barrow to mark the spot.
- Seeing his opportunity, Henry left his brothers body unburied, rode straight off to Winchester with a handful of companions, and seized the royal treasure.
- "Now you can play the part of Creon in the tragedy as soon as you like," he said, "and cast forth my body unburied.
- After the death of the monarch, when his body had lain unburied for thirty days, Aristander procured its burial by foretelling that the country in which it was interred would be the most prosperous in the world.Advertisement
- Western democracy will effectively cease to exist as the social infrastructure collapses under the weight of millions of unburied corpses.
- The men found shovels and quickly unburied the coffin, the crying becoming more clear as they dug.