Unawares sentence example
- They have almost all died unawares, sitting in the sanctuary they had guarded and which is now no more.
- This measure took the Doukhobors unawares, and at first they outwardly submitted to it.
- Burke was not the man to fall unawares into a trap of this kind.
- "You are not taking me unawares, you know," said he.
- Taken unawares, he made no attempt at resistance, and Tewfik was at once proclaimed khedive.Advertisement
- The Mussulman population of the Morea, taken unawares, was practically exterminated during the fury of the first few days; and, most fatal of all, the defection of the Greeks of the islands crippled the Ottoman navy by depriving it of its only effective sailors.
- He stumbled unawares upon the revolt of a proud national spirit, evolved through ten historic centuries; and the trap of Bayonne, together with the enthroning of Joseph Bonaparte, made the contemptible prince of the Asturias the elect of popular sentiment, the representative of religion and country.
- effort, which had been made when they were enjoying the advantages derived from concentration as opposed to dispersion, and when they were in the position to take the Turks unawares, had miscarried.
- Our hints are few of Jesus' teaching, but this much, at least, we cannot doubt unless we suppose that death took him unawares, or that his explanation of the impending fact took on some un-Jewish form; and further, that the earliest tradition misrepresents him.
- But he was almost unawares borne away by the mighty currents of the time, and he took part in the attacks on the monarchy, on the clergy, on church property, and on the provincial parlements.Advertisement
- Omar, his appointed successor, was sent secretly to Kuf a, where he seized on Khalid unawares.
- Taken unawares and signally out-manoeuvred at Anzac and Suvla, Liman von Sanders perceived that his antagonists would probably retire from Helles also, and he took measures accordingly.
- It was during this struggle that Lord Uxbridge launched two of his cavalry brigades on the enemy; and the "Union brigade" catching the French infantry unawares rode over them, broke them up, and drove them to the bottom of the slope with the loss of two eagles.
- forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
- Yes - I have been caught unawares by slippy roads when driving.Advertisement