Unacted sentence example
- It differs from the simple ketenes in that it is apparently unacted upon by phenols and alcohols.
- Three stages in the process are to be distinguished: (i.) calcination, to convert all the metals, except gold and silver, into oxides, which are unacted upon by chlorine; (ii.) chlorinating the gold and lixiviating the product; (iii.) precipitating the gold.
- Wohler reduced the sesquioxide by zinc, and obtained a shining green powder of specific gravity 6.81, which tarnished in air and dissolved in hydrochloric acid and warm dilute sulphuric acid, but was unacted upon by concentrated nitric acid.
- Soc., April 1894.) At this stage it became clear that the complication depended upon some hitherto unknown body, and probability inclined to the existence of a gas in the atmosphere heavier than nitrogen, and remaining unacted upon during the removal of the oxygen - a conclusion afterwards fully established by Lord Rayleigh and Sir William Ramsay.
- In the massive state it is unacted upon by dry air, but if moistened with acidified water, oxidation takes place slowly.Advertisement
- It is a volatile compound which burns when heated in oxygen and which is unacted upon by sulphuric and hydrochloric acids.